Self-worth

I wanted to take a moment to talk about self-confidence. There are many secular songs/magazines/shows/accounts you name it on being confident in yourself. And these are great! Songs like "Little Things" and songs by Demi Lovato may make us smile and give us some hope when we are down but if we are truly honest with ourselves, less than an hour later you are most likely just as dejected as you were before. So what do we do about it? How can we find a hope that will last forever, and not merely a momentary hope? While these things are great, the things of this world an everything in them are momentary; they will pass away, but the one thing that stays the same is Christ. I can follow the world and be confident in myself, but I screw up every single day. Or, I can be confident in who CHRIST is and who He is within me. Now that is the true source of fulfillment and peace. As someone who has counciled girls who are suicidal and/or struggling with eating disorders, I can tell you from experience that the best place to find encouragement that lasts is in scripture. You can listen to all the secular songs you want, but the only place to find peace that lasts is in scripture. According to Psalm 139:14 says this: "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Isn't that amazing? That the God who created the entire universe loves you? And that He created you in His image? You are fearfully and wonderfully made by the same God who strung the stars in the sky and created everything you say and not only that, but He loves you more than you can even imagine. That is absolutely mind-boggling. Matthew 6:25-34 says this:"25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." You were created by an infinite, holy, incredible, all-powerful God who made you in His image. Your identity is not found in the things of this world, but rather in Christ. Whenever you have doubts about yourself or your appearance, I challenge you to pray "Lord, take this doubt away and remind me of what you think of me." When you are focused on Christ and not self, you are able to cast all that anxiety away and are reminded of what He thinks of you. You were made for a unique purpose and that should be celebrated! How amazing is that?!