Modesty doesn't have to mean out of style

The text: 1 Peter 3:1-4 "Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight."

The message: Why is modesty important?

1. Because your self-worth should not come from what you look like. True beauty comes from the inside. Now lets break the passage down. First, I am aware this is speaking to wives, but I think it can be applied to dating as well. Your worth and your beauty does not come from what you wear, but who you are. Guys (the good ones) are attracted to purity and a girl who is deeply in love with Jesus, but more on that next week (;. This doesn't mean you have to dress like a granny! You can still dress cute and be modest, as long as your self-worth does not depend on it! This brings me to my second point, and perhaps the biggest reason modesty is a big issue although.this has yet to be addressed.

2. Believe it or not, guys are attracted to girls. I know, shocker. But it's true. Guys notice how you look and they notice what you are wearing. Guys are PHYSICAL beings. This means that they want to buy what you are selling. So if you are dressed immodestly with your boobs exposed and really short shorts, you get the picture, guys want that. On a side note... It's not just guys your age, old guys notice too...gross! In addition, because guys are physical, this can easily lead them into lust. 1 Corinthians 10:32-33 "Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved." Girls, if what you wear may cause a guy to stumble in his walk with God, you are sinning as well even if you don't mean to. This is why it is so important to dress modestly, not merely for your sake, but for the sake of your brothers in Christ.