Houseproud - Scene 8 - Int Joyce's Kitchen - Next morning (radio plays)

MARTIN AND JOYCE ARE CLEANING THE KITCHEN. VERNON’S BODY IS GONE AND EVERYTHING IS ALMOST TIDY. MARTIN AND JOYCE ARE NOT THEIR USUAL WELL-GROOMED SELVES. NORMA TAPS ON THE BACK DOOR.

NORMA:          Goodness Joyce. What have you done to your hair? Are you alright?

JOYCE:            Been working on the conservatory. Martin’s lending a hand.

NORMA:          Well I never. Thought Vernon had abandoned that job years ago.

JOYCE:            He decided to make a start before he eft. Helped us with laying the floor.

NORMA:          Let’s have a look see.

JOYCE:            I’m not sure its set.

NORMA PULLS BACK THE SHEET CURTAIN AND THE TWO WOMEN PEER INTO THE CONSERVATORY. MARTIN CONTINUES MANIACALLY WIPING THE KITCHEN SURFACES.

NORMA:          Ooh! What an improvement...looks loads (PAUSE) What’s that?

JOYCE:            What?!

NORMA:          That thing sticking up.

MARTIN STIFFENS AS THE TWO WOMEN LEAN FURTHER INTO THE CONSERVATORY FOR A CLOSER LOOK.

NORMA:          From this angle it looks like..

JOYCE:            (Jumping in) ...oh that, its my rubber glove..

MARTIN GRABS JOYCE’S RUBBER GLOVES FROM THE SINK AND QUICKLY HIDES THEM.

JOYCE:            (contd..) one of them fell in just as  we were pouring the cement. That bit

                           must have got...(Norma tilts her head to one side) inflated.

NORMA:           Better get it out then, before it  sets. (PAUSE) Do you want me to reach 

                            in?

JOYCE:              NO! No..we wondered about leaving it as...a feature.

NORMA:            It’s hardly a feature...Well its up to you. Suppose we couldn’t expect

                            perfection from Vernon.

NORMA GIVES ‘THE FEATURE’ A LAST SIDEWAYS LOOK. JOYCE DROPS THE CURTAIN. NORMA MAKES TO LEAVE.

NORMA:            How long’s Vernon gone for?

JOYCE:              Some time.

NORMA:            Fancy leaving you with all this to sort out.

JOYCE:               It’s OK. I know he’s here in spirit.

NORMA:             You’re a saint, Joyce Stanton. A saint.

NORMA LEAVES. JOYCE PULLS BACK THE CURTAIN AGAIN.

JOYCE:               Martin! Go fetch me a hacksaw.