Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The loud sound of my beeping phone woke me up from sleep. My head wasn't throbbing anymore but I still felt like being baked because of the heat. I was sweating that was good for me to release the toxins and wiped myself. Getting the phone from the bedside table, I answered it with a groggy voice.

"Hi, sweetie." The voice of my mother cheered me up. "How are you now? Andrea called to us that you're sick. Take your medicines and drink lots of water. We missed you, baby."

"Hi, mom. I'm fine now. They've been checking up on me like every five minutes if ever my fever's getting high. So, how's your day in France with dad? I miss you already."

"We're pretty good and the place is really beautiful. I'll bring you here along with your brother soon."

"Oh, great." I answered back with a tired voice. "You're coming home this Wednesday, right?"

"Yeah, sweetie. Just take some rest and take your meds, okay? I'll call you later. And don't forget to tell Kryss that we also miss him. Love you, honey."

"Love you too mom," and with that I hang up. I placed the phone back to the bedside table and propped myself on bed. As I sat up, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in." The door opened and came in the guy with a tray in his hands.

"I brought you food." I nodded then mumbling a 'thank you' before he could give it to me. "How are you feeling now?" Jacob asked with a concerned look on his face.

"I'm feeling fine now and still recovering from my fever. Thanks for the food, though." I smiled at him then leaned down to look at my food. An apple, a soup, a brownie and a glass of juice was on the tray. I was really hungry. More like starving.

He took the chair on the study table and placed beside my bed and sat. While I was eating the food, I could feel his eyes intently staring at me. It made me uncomfortable because I don't know if he wanted to talk with me about last night, which why he was acting weird. I couldn't blame him though but he was ignoring me all night.

"Jacob,"/ "Kori," we both acknowledged. "You first." He said and smiled at me.

"Okay, about last night, why were you ignoring me? Did I do something wrong?" I queried, putting down the spoon.

"It's not of a big deal, Kori. I was okay and fine. You didn't do anything wrong. I was just thinking of something else." He answered which was a lie. "Nothing to worry about." Jacob smiled again but it was strained.

"Are you sure? You don't seem so fine last night. I think something is bothering you. Would you like to tell me?" I asked again.

"Just drop it. Okay?" His voice got louder. All I did was look down at my food. This was the first time he raised me a voice. "Look, I'm sorry. I should've never raised my voice and said that. Kori, I'm―" I cut him off before he could finish it.

I looked him in the eyes and said, "No, it's fine. Can you please go? I need some rest for now." I placed the tray on the bedside and lay on the bed, my back facing him.

"Kori," he pleaded with a hurt voice.

"Just go, please." I closed my eyes and heard his footsteps and the door closed. I was trying to be open to Jacob and tell him that I'm here for him but he won't let me. I wish everything will be okay.

****

I was lying on the couch, watching movies when the door opened, revealing my best friend. It was already late in the afternoon and they're still here.