Short 5- Someone to Listen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Warning!!! This content includes, SUICIDAL THEMES, please if anything of the sort has affected you, DO NOT READ! Thank you and enjoy,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked over the edge of the railing and watched the white rapids speed and spray water.

'This is it, there's no turning back.' A tear fell from my eye as I said my last silent goodbyes, 'Goodbye mother and father, though you never cared, goodbye brother, you hurt me though I loved you, goodbye the love of my life, you never seemed noticed me, and goodbye my future children, though you never were conceived.' I lifted myself over the edge of the rail and held tightly behind myself, my face was now covered with tears. I was numb, there was nothing left for me to feel, I had felt pain, I had felt guilt, but none of that mattered anymore. I leaned forward, I knew that no one would care if I accidentally slipped or purposefully fell. The water was churning like my stomach, yet the bubbling swirls seemed so inviting.

'Just a couple inches forward and I could leave this world, the pain that everyone has caused me could be washed away with the movement of my hands from the bar holding me onto this reality.' My grip was loosening on the bars as I leant a bit closer to death, he whispered promises of happiness and hope, if I let go now. I'm sure I heard a car drive past, how can people be so cruel, to see a person about to take their own life and not care, it's outrageous.

"Hey!" A blurry voice shouted from behind me, "what are yo-" they seemed to realize my closeness to death.

"Please," they begged, "please don't, I know it's hard, and the option seems so easy," my grip tightened and I looked down once more, shame bubbled inside me.

"You have to trust me," 'Trust? How can I trust anymore?' I once again loosened my grip and leaned closer to the water.

"WAIT!" They shouted scaring me, natural reflex took over and pulled me close to the bars behind me a death grip settling on my hands to the rail. I heard their footfalls behind me walking closer and closer, their voice was hushed.

"Please let me help you through this, you- we, will get through this and we'll start by coming away from the edge," they coaxed me, I turned around on the bars and faced them, they smiled and offered their hand to me. I let go of the bar with one hand and grabbed theirs, they helped me over the rail and sat me down. I burst into tears, no words were spoken as they allowed me to let it all out, all they did was listen and pet my hair soothing me. I asked their name,

"My name is Angel," their voice was smooth and silky like a comfortable hug, I realized as I thought back to while they were talking me out of ending it, their voice had been full of true worry and concern. I teared up and smiled at them, the first words I had spoken to them was a thanks, thanks for giving me hope, something no one could do, thanks for helping me, letting me talk when no one else would, and thank you for listening, because sometimes that's all you need. Someone to listen.