Chapter 7: A Small Portrait

I stand up from the stool slowly and look back at Bootstrap who seems to have fallen asleep. Quietly, I walk towards the door thinking about Captain Turner. I think about how caring Jack is to me. I think I'm starting to like him. But I shake that feeling off.

I approach the wooden door. Before I open it, I look around the chart room and Bootstrap who is still asleep. I smile at him as I push the heavy door open and walk out.

I walk along the deck of the ship. The world is in complete darkness, lit only by the scatter of stars in the sky and the few dying candles hanging around the deck. In this light, I can't see the horizon because the starry night sky reflects onto the water's surface.

There never is this many stars at Port Royal. Port Royal is never this silent either.

I walk towards the edge of the ship and lean on the railing. I gaze at the sky and stare at the moon, which is never this big in Port Royal as well.

It seems like I stay there for hours looking at the sky, not thinking about anything at all. It is until I notice some of the candles dying out that I decide I should get some sleep.

I barely see the stairs in the dark as I feel my way under the deck and to an unoccupied hammock. I lay there, tired as ever, and fall asleep.

I wake up to one of the crewmen shaking me awake. He rocks my hammock so hard I fall to the floor. I feel the cold wet ground below me and I lift my head up. Though half awake eyes, I see the crew member disappear up the stairs. Slowly, I stand myself up and make my way up to the deck.

The heat from the sun reaches my face as I emerge from underneath and onto the deck. The light reaches my half open eyes and I look around. I see the crewmen doing work around the ship. Some are on their knees scrubbing the deck with soapy water. Some of them are hauling or tying ropes around the ship. My eyes search the ship for Jack. I can't see him anywhere. I look towards the helm where Captian Turner is holding the wheel. I rush towards him, accidently treading on fingers of sailors scrubbing the deck.

"Captain Turner!" I call to him. I hurry in front of him so I catch his eye. "Where's Jack?"

He looks over his shoulder where Jack is at the railing holding a telescope to his eye. Next to him is an old desk covered in barnacles and seaweed and the map I drew, laying flat on top. I walk towards the map and look at the confusing circles and Latin words. I then look up at the sea surrounding the ship.

"Jack, do you have any idea where we are?" I say alarmed. He lowers his telescope and looks at me.

"No. We're good as lost now" Jack says with a smile.

"Lost!" I say to him, angry.

He ignores my last comment and his eyes scan me head to toe. His eyes linger at my chest area which is now missing the corset.

"Excuse me!" I say, covering my chest with my arms.

"You might want to change out of that dress and into something more better. There happens to be some better clothes in the Captain's Quarters" Jack says.

I dont understand what he means until I look down at what I'm wearing. My once beautiful white gown is blackened by dirt, and the hem of the dress is wet and torn like the sails of this ship. Countless threads have gone missing as well as the corset that Jack tore off in Tortuga. He gestures his filthy and ringed finger towards Captain Turner's cabin.

"Fine" I tell him and I lift the bottom of my tattered dress above my ankles as I walk towards the Captain's cabin. I pass all the crew members scrubbing the deck and hauling the ropes, all looking at me as I walk by. It must've been ages since they've seen a woman. I smile at them, hoping that that will brighten their day.

I push the heavy door of the Captain's Cabin open. I look at the mussel covered ground and turn around to close the door. I lift my head and gasp at the sight of the enormous hall that lies in front of me. The floor is layed with smooth, blue planks, shining with a thin layer of water. Brightly lit wax candles are being held up by tall, dark candleholders on either side of the room. Their flames dancing from the draught coming from the countless holes in the walls. On my left are two large and heavy wooden trunks with carvings along the sides; their large locks latched in place. On my right is a hand carved desk with countless papers and charts layed flat on top. As I walk closer to it, I notice a small, silver picture frame holding a damaged and worn portrait of a woman. I pick it up and wipe away the dirt covering the woman's face. After wiping away the last bit of dirt, the picture reveals an image of a woman with blonde hair and a weak smile on her face. The bottom of the frame contains a carving with the word Elizabeth.

I carefully place the delicate frame back on the desk, remebering I am here to get clothes and not to look around Captain Turner's private possessions. I walk towards the heavy trunks where the clothes probably are as a scene at the end of the room catches my eye. The sun is shining its light through the tall glass window and onto an old and beautiful organ. Alongside of it are tall pipes exerting a faint fog, giving the room an eerie feel. I know I shouldn't be looking around, but the curiosity inside me is building up and I can't help but approach the organ.

"Beautiful" I whisper to myself as I run my fingers along the many layers of the keys. The intricate detail of the organ distracts me because I don't notice the door open.

"What are you doing here?" I hear a thundering voice say behind me. I jerk backwards and look to see the captain standing in the doorway. I struggle to my feet embarassed.

"I...uh...sorry...I came to get some clothes" I stutter. I eagerly rush to the heavy trunks at the side of the room and force one open. I collect some clothes and anxiously hurry to the door. I stop and look back at the Captain, who has moved towards his desk.

"Um...Captain Turner" I say. He looks up at me.

"That woman, in the picture," I hesitate, "is she your wife?"

He loosens his fists. The rage leaves his face and he lowers his head, looking at the picture frame on his desk. Softly, he says yes.

I clutch tightly at the clothes in my hand and walk out the door. I take one last look at the Captain, whose head is low and hidden, but a tear streaming down his face.

(Please vote for the next chapter)