Chapter 8: Over the Edge

I change into my new clothes which consist of a pair of baggy pants, a loose white sleeved top and a waist high belt. There's an extra belt around my hips where I can tuck away my sword and safely hide the pistol I took from Jack at Tortuga. I feel like an actual pirate.

I step out on deck. The sky has gotten darker and the sea is a bit calmer. Some crew members stop to look at me then hastily continue to work. I walk across the deck to Jack, who seems to not notice my new attire.

He sits at the wooden table, focused. I look over shoulder to see the map laid flat and Jack's compass right beside it.

"Jack," I say and I look out at the ocean, which is nothing but open sea, "where are we?"

"We're good as lost now" he replies, his eyes not leaving the map.

"Lost?!" I yell, "What do you mean lost?"

Jack stands up and walks right past me, without a trace of worry on his face. "'Course we are. we have to be lost to find a place that can't be found" he says and he rests his hands on the steering wheel.

How can he be so relaxed when we are LOST?

Horrified, I rush to the front of the ship and squint my eyes to see the distance. Through the darkness, my eyes widen. I realise we are about to sail right over a waterfall. It's as if the sea ended and we are about to fall off the edge of the world.

"You've doomed us all!" I cry to Jack

The other crew members gather at the railing to see what we are sailing into. There's commotion all over the deck as each pirate tried to grab hold of something to prevent themselves from falling.

The ship nears the edge and tilts forward slowly. I immediately grasp tightly on the mast next to Jack, who is clutching to the steering wheel.

The ship tips and falls downwards as I hold tightly to the mast. Screams from the crew are heard as the ship rushes down.

What we'll meet at the bottom of this waterfall? I don't know. All I can do is pray I will survive. I shut my eyes tightly as The Flying Dutchman disappears into the dark depths below.