Chapter 12: The Way Back

The commodore won't allow the rest of the crew out of the brig except Captain Turner and Jack. I managed to convince him that they're not a treat, but he still keeps armed officers by their sides at all times. I guess he's just taking safety precautions in case they decide to take back the ship.

They took away all the weapons I had on me. My sword and Jack's pistol have been stripped off my body, in case I become a hazard.

The commodore remains inside the Captain's cabin talking to some other officers about the deals I made with him. I'm free to roam the ship as I please since I'm his fiancé, but I still have this unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach that I get all this special treatment while the crew is locked up.

I sit on the wooden stairs looking around the deck. By this time my clothes have dried in the wind and I feel a lot more comfortable now. Well, only on the outside. I bite down on the fresh green apple in my hand. The cold juice flows down my throat and quenches my thirst. It's amazing how something so small and discredited could make you feel so happy after a while without it.

Jack stands on the other side of the boat looking out to sea through his spyglass. It feels like he's been avoiding me for hours. I don't understand it if he's mad at me. He has no reason to be. I'm doing him a favour, really.

I walk up towards him. I know he notices me approaching yet he doesn't move.

"Jack," I say. There's no response. He doesn't even move his head. Instead, he simply lowers his spyglass and continues to look at the ocean. I know he's listening though. "Jack, stop ignoring me. I honestly don't understand why you're not talking to me."

There's a brief silence between us until his lips start to form words. Before he says anything, he hesitates and turns his heel. He walks away and I don't try stop him.

The day is going extremely slow with no one to talk to and no job to do. The commodore doesn't allow me to work since I'm a lady and shouldn't be forced to do labor. I don't have anything to do so I just keep myself occupied by looking at the still water.

"My lady," a voice behind me says. I turn around to see one uniformed soldier standing straight with his arms glued to his side.

"Yes?" I respond.

"The Commodore wishes for your acquaintance as we discuss the plans for return," he speaks.

"Well I guess I don't have a choice," I say weakly. He leads me towards the Captain's cabin where Jack, Captain Turner and the Commodore surround a desk softly talking to each other.

"Excuse me?" I interrupt their discussion. They stop what they're doing to face me. "You called me, Commodore?"

A wide grin forms across his face. He takes my hand and leads me to the desk to show me the map I drew, lying on the table. I try to squeeze my hand from his grasp but he doesn't loosen his grip. I'm left there standing, looking at the map to avoid Jack's eyes. My hand starts to grow numb from the tightness of the Commodore's hold.

"So glad you're here, Catherine. we are about to discuss the plans of return," the Commodore states.

"What are the plans you have in mind?" I ask.

"Well, that's why Mr. Sparrow and Turner are here. They've come and gone from this place before. They should know what to do," he replies. I look to Captain Turner who nods softly.

"Before sunset, the ship must be flipped upside down. I suggest we get our men to rock the vessel until it capsizes," Captain Turner says. The Commodore looks at him confused, then accepts it.