A Day of Events

It's funny waking up next to Emmett in the mornings because it's always a challenge trying to unwrap myself from his arms. This morning, he had a much firmer grip on my body, and wriggling myself out of his grasp was pretty much impossible. I had been trying for about five minutes when he grunted and rolled over, pinning me under him, and, I must say, it was not as comfortable as you'd think. Emmett was snoring again, and I was becoming frustrated. I needed to check my sugar and I had planned on surprising him with breakfast.

"Emmett, I have to go to the bathroom," I pleaded with his half-conscious form, desperately reaching for the bed side table. He moaned again and rolled off of me, rubbing his eyes. His facial hair had grown out over the past few days, but I didn't mind. He looked good with a little bit of scruff. He opened his eyes slowly then closed them quickly, the light fully hitting his face for the first time that morning. I had watched his pupils dilate and then shrink into themselves as he did so, the light making his eyes appear completely clear. It was like I was looking into glass. "Okay, hurry back."

I jumped out of bed and went into the bathroom, grabbing my pouch from the floor and shutting the door as quietly as possible. I was hoping he would fall asleep again so that I could carry out my original plan. My sugar was fine, for once, and I slipped the pouch under the cabinet. I had taken my shot last night while Emmett was in the bathroom. It had to break some record with how quickly I did it. I was so afraid I would get it stuck in my leg or something, resulting in a hospital visit and a very upset boyfriend. I had to tell him about the diabetes soon.

I crept out of the bathroom and found him snoring again, hugging a pillow to his chest. I wanted to wake him up just to be with him, but I headed to the kitchen instead. I was wearing a pair of flannel pants and socks, but my tank top was causing a few goose bumps to rise on my arms. I was searching for the thermostat when a voice behind me about made me jump out of my skin. "It's by the hall closet, though, a hoodie would probably solve your problem." I spun around and saw Joey leaning over the kitchen counter. I hadn't noticed him when I exited Emmett's room because I was too busy searching for the thermostat, and I already knew it wasn't in the kitchen.

Joey had dark brown hair that matched his dark brown eyes. He was tall, like Emmett, just not as filled in. He was still very fit, but next to Emmett, he appeared scrawny. I liked Joey for the most part, since I had only really talked with him twice now. His hair was a mess and he was adorned in only a pair of sweats. It seems that all college age men wear the same thing to bed. He was sipping a cup of coffee, which I didn't even know Emmett owned. His eyes slowly ran along my appearance, making me a bit nervous, but I shook it off and went to find the thermostat.

"Emmett said something about it being chilly last night, so I figured it would be okay," I told Joey, sitting at the bar across from him. "Hmm," he growled at me, the early morning affecting his voice. "How have you been? Enjoying the time you've got before the deployment I assume?" I brought the subject up again, just to see how he would handle it. He remained unfazed this time, though, and responded, "Pretty much," then took another drink of his coffee. The smell was weird to me after so many cups of hot chocolate and apple cider, but I didn't mind. Long nights always gave me the excuse to order a hot coffee before school, I just hadn't had one since exams.

"You and Emmett have been spending quite a lot of time together," he stated, and I wasn't sure if he was expecting any kind of response. "We have," I said anyway, "just trying to get as much out of the days left as we can." He hummed again, seeming to be thinking about something that didn't pertain to the current situation.

I heard a noise from Emmett's room and got up quickly, realizing that I hadn't started on his breakfast and he was bound to be up any minute. It was nearing eleven and we were usually up at nine, but it was another long night. This one wasn't as pleasant as the last one we spent though.