Assurances

I never thought that using another persons' upgrade would be a problem, but apparently to the snazzy AT&T guy, it was a serious matter that had to be handled immediately. So, I asked to borrow a phone, and he had the audacity to look at me as if I could use my own.

“Why do you need to borrow a phone?” He actually asked me. I almost screamed. I had been dealing with this moron for the last twenty minutes, trying to convince him that the girl was my best friend and how my phone was ruined. “Probably because mine is fried and I am in the middle of trying to prove to you that the person I'm trying to call is actually allowing me to use her upgrade!” That got me a few nervous looks.

The guy scurried off behind the counter as I followed, assuming he finally got the message. I rubbed at my chest. Today it wasn't my throat as much as my sternum area that was sore. Apparently, inhaling water wasn't good for your lungs. Good thing I figured that out now, right?

I didn't want to come off as a bitch, but the man was seriously aggravating me, and I was extremely tired. I was also really impatient to call Emmett; I needed to talk to him. I already knew that they would have to transfer all my data to the new phone and that that would take enough time itself, so I wasn't happy that this wasn't going smoothly. I also had studying to get back to. Finals were approaching and my subconscious wouldn't let me forget it.

The man finally handed me the phone and I dialed Maggie's number faster than he can type in his log-on information. “Can you please tell this kind man that you are allowing me to use your upgrade?” I asked her, coating my voice in sarcasm so that she would understand just how ridiculous he was being.

She only laughed and said sure before I handed over the phone. He went through the usual security checks and was able to prove that the upgrade was due and confirmed I was able to use it. He hung up and looked at me sheepishly, “Sorry about that, ma'am. Protocol.” I only sighed. I wasn't in the mood to argue anymore, so I let him do his thing and in another thirty minutes I was out of there.

The first thing I did was text Maggie thank you for the phone and then dialed Emmett's number. I let it ring until I got his voice mail and hung up. I wasn't ready to leave a message and I'm sure he would see that I called him. I needed to go to the store anyways; I was low on insulin.

On my way to the drugstore I was thinking about how much studying I needed to do over the next few weeks, while rethinking my major at the same time. I hate shopping for diabetic products because I get strange looks when I walk about with twenty bottles of insulin, a huge box of prickers and another of needles. I can't help it. I was diagnosed at four and have been labeled as brittle ever since.

For most kids, after they find a stable medication they simply wean them off of the insulin and their bodies are able to cure themselves. That never worked for me. Every time they thought they found the right medication, I was sent back to the hospital because I had passed out in the shower or was shaking uncontrollably. The sickness after is my least favorite though. Freezing cold, constant vomiting, and not being able to control anything my body is doing is always the worst.

I realized it was my turn at the counter and shook the unpleasant thoughts from my mind. The cashier gave me a weird look as he scanned the large bag of needles and multiple bottles of insulin. I even noticed the people behind me whispering about the purchases. I brushed it off, as usual, since they didn't know and I didn't care to explain.

I had just set down my bags on the counter when my phone started ringing. I didn't bother to look at the screen while I was trying to move things in our too small fridge to fit the insulin and was startled by the tenor voice that greeted me.

“Hey,” he said quietly. This is why I wanted to call him earlier. “Hey, Emmett, would you like to come over for a while?” I asked him, straight to the point. I didn't think it fitting to thank someone for saving your life over the phone. “Yeah, sure. I'm just around the block, so I'll be there in five.” “See you then,” I told him as I shut the fridge door with my hip.

I tidied up the living area before he arrived. Even though he had seen it last night, I still thought it was rude to leave a place unnecessarily messy, especially when expecting company. The knock on the door sounded almost exactly five minutes from the time I ended the call, and I opened it to a man staring at his feet.

He was surprised when I went in for a hug. “Thank you, so much. I wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for you, Emmett. You saved my life.” I was choking up, just thinking of what would've happened if he hadn't grabbed me. I pulled him inside and we sat on the couch. He still wasn't making eye contact with me, and I was craving those clear blue eyes so aggressively that all I wanted was for him to raise his face a few inches more to allow me a short glimpse.

“Emmett, what is it?” I asked him, resting my hand on his knee in a reassuring way. “Grace...I-I had no clue. I'm so sorry. I never should have chased you-” “Emmett, I don't, in any way blame you for anything that happened. It was entirely my fault. I should have been more careful, and probably informed you that I couldn't actually swim, so have a life jacket at hand.” I tried to joke with him after ending his pity fest. I wasn't about to let him believe for a second that he had anything to do with my own stupidity.

“I should have jumped in as soon as you fell over. I thought you were just cold and that's why you were screaming. Once I realized what you were saying, you had gone under and I couldn't find the lifebuoy, and I just started panicking,” he lost his voice here and I could see his lashes lower even farther. He always seemed so collected and firm, so this was new to me. “But you got to me in time, so this isn't a time to be sad.” I rubbed his arm and hugged him again. He looked at me then, and my breath hitched in my throat. I never thought I would see anything more stunning than Emmett' eyes, but with a bit of moisture they were even more beautiful. He smiled at me, and my heart stuttered. Emmett was starting to get to me, and this was only the third encounter I've had with him.

“Maggie told me you stayed with me before Mark got here.” He nodded his head and looked toward my bedroom door, which I had shut right before he knocked. That room needed some work, especially after I had laid out all my books for this afternoon. “I appreciate it. That means a lot to me.” I said this with as much sincerity as I could. “How did you know I hated hospitals?” I was back to joking this time, it actually worked, and he let out a small chuckle. “The same way I knew that you wouldn't want to go to some stupid restaurant instead of a night out on the water.” I was glad he didn't seem fazed mentioning last night anymore, I had genuinely enjoyed the time before I fell overboard. “You were very correct in that,” I told him, “it was a genius idea.”

He smiled at this and I gave him one back. This was nice; Emmett was nice. I don't know how he managed it, but he already had me wrapped around his finger, and for once, I didn't mind.