Chapter .8.

Chapter 8

When we got back home Alisa was waiting on my doorstep. When she saw my red eyes she ran up to me and gave me a tight hug. I really needed that.

We walked around town for a few hours and ended up on a bench by the lake. It was so peaceful; I could just stay there forever.

I looked to the opposite side of the lake to see a boy and a girl walking hand in hand. They looked very familiar. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was Cody and Harry. My heart felt like it had just jumped out of my chest it was beating so fast. I wanted to cry, I was trying so hard to stop myself but the tears just flooded out of my eyes like a waterfall.

I put my head in my hands sobbing uncontrollable. Alisa patted me on the back.

“You still miss your family?” She hadn’t spotted them yet. I shook my head and pointed to the devil. She looked to them and gasped.

“I miss my family and to top it all off, he’s back together with Cody.” I combed a hand through my hair in frustration.

A few months ago Harry asked me how he could dump Cody, why would he want her back.

Cody spotted me looking at her, smirked and went in for a kiss on the lips but he turned his head away quickly so she smacked her lips against his cheek. Cody’s expression looked between confused and angry. I was trying to stop the big grin showing on my face but I couldn’t help it.

Later on that night I went out onto my balcony. There was snow all over my couch but I didn’t mind. The icicles hung from the guttering and shimmered from the sunlight, tiny drops of water dangling from the bottom of them.

Out there I had time to think. Who knew why Harry got back together with Cody? Lee might, but he could have sworn on the ‘bro-code’ not to tell anyone. I could always ask Harry face to face, although that would look a little bit desperate.

I sighed. I’ll never be able to know the truth.

I woke up and checked the time. 8:30am, how could I have over slept on Christmas day! I sprinted downstairs in my festive pyjamas and dove to the tree.

“No!” I heard someone shout. I turned around to see my mother.

“What? Why oh, why can’t I open my presents?” I said scowling at her.

“We have to wait for the whole household to wake up before we start to open the presents.”

“I don’t give two cents about the whole household, I’m opening my presents now!” I demanded.

After a few more minutes of arguing I got bored and started opening them anyway. Mother tried to take them off of me, but I ran away. I hid in the closet under the stairs. I looked at the neatly wrapped box and carefully untied the bow. When the whole thing had been dismantled, I looked inside the box to see, a pile of socks! How great! I rolled my eyes; I’d rather have the money.

After that very disappointing start to the presents, they seemed to either be a little bit better, or a whole lot worse.

The best present I received was the money all $300 of it, all mine. I smiled to myself. I wonder what I could buy with the money. I could buy a pony! Nah, we don’t have anywhere to put it. I could go on a shopping spree or I could save it. So many decisions.

A few minutes later there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see a smiling Alisa and Lee with their families.

“Hello, Maria.” My mother greeted Alisa’s mother. They all walked in and I still had no idea what was going on.