Chapter 31: Made of Glass

[Chapter 31]

(Sophia's pov)

"Come back here!" I hear Noah yelling after me.

I run out the park with my skirt wrinkled up in my hands. I make a run for it after taking off my wretched black pumps, hopping on one leg and then quickening my pace.

'I knew it was a bad day to wear heels, should've worn those flats' I think to myself. I trip over a rock and take a peak behind me to see Noah not too far behind me.

'Shoot, I can't believe that I'm still clumsy, some things never change about me'

I gain my balance and start to make my way out the park and find the nearest form of transportation to get away, while ignoring the burning feeling on my legs.

"Sophia wait!" Noah says breathlessly with anger clearly laced around his words.

I take another peak again and see him gaining speed. He ran my hand through his hair, almost making me swoon.

'No! Stop falling for that. Don't you dare give up now, after that whole speech you gave to Melissa to never back down from a challenge' I tell myself.

I see the entrance of the park and speed up a bit more, as if Noah read my mind he also gained speed to catch up to me before he lost me in the crowds outside the park. I run out the park and see a bus stop across the street and run towards it, with relief exploding in my chest but when suddenly a hand grabs my wrist and pulls me towards a hard chest my heart sank.

"Oof" I grunt.

"Please don't make a run for it again" He says into my ear with sadness laced around his voice. I stay like that for a moment and relax against him letting his words sink in. We both stand there trying to catch our breathe then a cold gust of wind passes through, pulling me back into reality. I pull myself away from him roughly, when realizing my position and Noah stumbles back a bit from the sudden movement.

"How many times do I have to tell you? Leave me alone!" I yell at him, taking a few steps back. I run my hands through my long locks of chestnut colored hair, pulling them slightly aggravated. I throw my pumps onto the sidewalk and put them on quickly while straightening my skirt from its wrinkles.

"I don't want to leave you alone" Noah says to me so softly I almost couldn't hear him. I look up to see him standing there with his arms hanging from his sides and looking back at me, helpless.

"Look I need you to leave me alone, I'm not in the right place of my mind and I don't need you complicating things even more." I say emphasizing on 'alone' slightly annoyed at his pattern of running after me. Then thinking why I had to provide an explanation to him when clearly we were literally strangers to eachother.

"That's why I don't want to leave you Sophia, I know how it feels to be alone and I know very well how much you want someone to hold you and somebody to talk to" He says taking a step forward and holding my fingers delicately as if they were made of glass.

My voice hitches as I look down at our hands hating the electricity I still felt with him whenever he held my hand. I look upto him and stood like this for a few seconds, his eyes then show an emotion of relief and then to ruin the moment I said "And that person isn't you."

I pull my hand away from him, gently and start to walk away from him. I cross the street as soon as the army of cars slow down the the red spotlight. I step into the bus that just arrived. I step inside the bus just after looking at Noah, ignoring the aching feeling I got in my heart when I saw his face filled with so many emotions.