Chapter 20

MINDY'S POV

I look at Stiles who puts the car in drive and races down the highway. He is still in shock, along with the rest of us. My breathing is unsteady and my chest hurts like hell. I shut my eyes rubbing my head slightly. "What the hell is a were-coyote?" I ask causing Scott to turn around.

"They are just like werewolves except instead of turning into wolves they turn into coyotes," he says as his hand rests on top of his heart.

"I think we got that, but the way Stiles said it, it sounded important," Julie replies looking at Scott.

"They are very powerful and there aren't any left," he says causing my eyebrows to move inward with confusion. If there isn't any left, then who was that?

"Except one," Stiles starts, "but we didn't think we would see them again."

I look at Lydia who is leaning against the window, not saying a word. She doesn't move or try to bud into the conversation, only the sounds of her breathing fills the back seats. I go to comfort her but stop when the car hits a bump.

"Who is the were-coyote?" Julie asks looking at Stiles who seems sensitive to the topic.

"She was a good friend of ours, but then she became violent and soon left. We wanted to help her, but she wouldn't listen to anything we said which caused our friendship to come to an end." Stiles responds taking a deep breath.

Julie gently squeezes Stiles shoulder in a sign of comfort before she gives him a warm smile. I look back at Lydia who still hasn't said a word. I lean towards her.

"Lydia," I whisper, "is everything alright?" She looks over at me, showing her glossy eyes. She quickly shakes her head no. "What's wrong?"

She takes a deep breath. "That girl, who Stiles was talking about, she was one of my best friends and to remember how horrible it was when she left us," she chokes, covering her mouth with her hand. "I'm sorry."

I grab her hand and gently rub it. "Lydia, it's not your fault, and look around you, there is a car full of people who love and care about you." I see Lydia's eyes go towards Stiles. "Everything is going to be alright."

Lydia nods as she squeezes my hand quickly before looking back out the window. I take a deep breath and do the same to see dirt and rocks every where, but nothing looks familiar. Where could Tyler be?

* * *

"Do you think that's it?" Julie asks as the car comes to a stop.

I look out the window to see a small hillside. I look around to see if there is a tent or building some where, but I don't see anything. I look at Lydia who seems just as confused.

"Where?" Stiles asks looking out the window. "Is it behind the hill or something?" He looks over Julie and tries scanning the area.

"Right there," she says pointing at the hill. When Stiles doesn't reply she continues. "There is a giant cave right there."

"I see it," Scott says looking out the window. "There's some type of light coming from it. Pull over Stiles."

Stiles does as Scott says and he jumps out of the car followed by the rest of us. We walk over to the hill to see a thick wall made of rock. Lydia looks at Scott and Julie with her hands on her hips.

"What is the point of coming over here if there is nothing here?" Lydia says.

"Yeah, I don't really get why we are doing this," I add as we walk closer to the wall.