Prologue

I bit my lip nervously as i made my way out of the water and back onto the beach,my surfboard under my arm. I cursed when i thought back to how i messed up in the backdoor and sighed. That was definitely going to get me some marks deducted. I was currently competing in a semi-amateur surfing competition to warm up for the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing in Waimea Bay. Me being one of the few well-known girl surfers here was a challenge to not mess up though. But this was only getting me ready for it. I was finally old enough to compete with the biggest surfers from around the world. But first i had to make sure that everything was sharp and clean if i really wanted to win. My crew ran up to me with huge smiles and my dad trailed behind. "You did awesome,Mia!" One yelled. I smiled a bit and nodded. "Not good enough,though." My dad finally arrived and looked at the score board. "Good news,you beat Merrick and there's only one more guy to go.." I frowned. "Bad news?" He sighed. "Your backdoor wasn't tight enough." I clicked my tongue. Called it. "On record,how bad is it gonna be?" He smirked. "You don't have to worry about that. I did some research. This new kid is from England and just got here two months ago. There's no way he's showing you up. But that doesn't mean you can keep being lazy,Maria. You gotta work hard to win this." I smiled brightly and ignored that he called me by my whole first name,nodding. "Got it." We all watched as a tall guy with dark blonde hair,russet brown eyes,bushy brown eyebrows,slightly pale skin-which shows that he's not from around here-a black swim shirt,and a puca-shell necklace with orange swim trunks walked into the water. He was interesting to me. He held a lopsided smile like he didn't have a care in the world as he paddled into the water. I wish i had that care-free attitude. "Next up we have a new-comer,Alex Gaskarth!" He waved as a couple people clapped. After that,he picked up the perfect wave. I watched in awe. "Woah.." He totally owned that wave and smiled brightly the entire time. He looked at home in there. I felt the sides of my mouth twitch up a bit in a smile,as i bit my lip. It was really cool seeing people just as passionate as you are with something they love and enjoying themselves.

~§~