Tafseer Lesson - 01

In the Name of Allah the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful.

Alhamdulillah with the grace of Almighty Allah we have started this journey of Tafseer.

In Shaa Allah on every Tuesday i will post tafseer lessons of few ayahs. Lets begin with "Surah An-Nisa".

The source of Tafseer:
Tafsir Ibn Kathir and Abdullah Yusuf Ali's interpretation.

LESSON No - 1

Details about Surah An- Nisa.

▪Revealed in Madinah.
▪Number of verses -176.

Virtues of Surah An-Nisa' .

Al-Awfi reported that Ibn Abbas said that;

Surah An-Nisa' was revealed in Al-Madinah. Ibn Marduwyah recorded similar statements from Abdullah bin Az-Zubayr and Zayd bin Thabit.

In his Mustadrak, Al-Hakim recorded that Abdullah bin Mas'ud said,

"There are five Ayat in Surah An-Nisa' that I would prefer to the life of this world and all that is in it,

1. ﺇِﻥَّ اﻟﻠَّﻪَ ﻻَ ﻳَﻈْﻠِﻢُ ﻣِﺜْﻘَﺎﻝَ ﺫَﺭَّﺓٍ ۖ ﻭَﺇِﻥْ ﺗَﻚُ ﺣَﺴَﻨَﺔً ﻳُﻀَﺎﻋِﻔْﻬَﺎ ﻭَﻳُﺆْﺕِ ﻣِﻦْ ﻟَﺪُﻧْﻪُ ﺃَﺟْﺮًا ﻋَﻈِﻴﻤًﺎ (4:40),
Surely, Allah wrongs not even the weight of an atom.(4:40)

Allah is never unjust in the least degree: If there is any good (done), He doubleth it, and giveth from His own presence a great reward.

2. ﺇِﻥْ ﺗَﺠْﺘَﻨِﺒُﻮا ﻛَﺒَﺎﺋِﺮَ ﻣَﺎ ﺗُﻨْﻬَﻮْﻥَ ﻋَﻨْﻪُ ﻧُﻜَﻔِّﺮْ ﻋَﻨْﻜُﻢْ ﺳَﻴِّﺌَﺎﺗِﻜُﻢْ ﻭَﻧُﺪْﺧِﻠْﻜُﻢْ ﻣُﺪْﺧَﻼً ﻛَﺮِﻳﻤًﺎ (4:31)
If you avoid the great sins which you are forbidden to do. We shall remit from you your (small) sins, and admit you to a Noble Entrance (i.e. Paradise).(4:31)

If ye (but) eschew the most heinous of the things which ye are forbidden to do, We shall expel out of you all the evil in you, and admit you to a gate of great honour.

3. ﺇِﻥَّ اﻟﻠَّﻪَ ﻻَ ﻳَﻐْﻔِﺮُ ﺃَﻥْ ﻳُﺸْﺮَﻙَ ﺑِﻪِ ﻭَﻳَﻐْﻔِﺮُ ﻣَﺎ ﺩُﻭﻥَ ﺫَٰﻟِﻚَ ﻟِﻤَﻦْ ﻳَﺸَﺎءُ ۚ ﻭَﻣَﻦْ ﻳُﺸْﺮِﻙْ ﺑِﺎﻟﻠَّﻪِ ﻓَﻘَﺪِ اﻓْﺘَﺮَﻯٰ ﺇِﺛْﻤًﺎ ﻋَﻈِﻴﻤًﺎ
(4:48)
Verily, Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with Him (in worship), but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He wills. and whoever sets up partners with Allah in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin.(4:48)

Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed.

4. ﻭَﻣَﺎ ﺃَﺭْﺳَﻠْﻨَﺎ ﻣِﻦْ ﺭَﺳُﻮﻝٍ ﺇِﻻَّ ﻟِﻴُﻄَﺎﻉَ ﺑِﺈِﺫْﻥِ اﻟﻠَّﻪِ ۚ ﻭَﻟَﻮْ ﺃَﻧَّﻬُﻢْ ﺇِﺫْ ﻇَﻠَﻤُﻮا ﺃَﻧْﻔُﺴَﻬُﻢْ ﺟَﺎءُﻭﻙَ ﻓَﺎﺳْﺘَﻐْﻔَﺮُﻭا اﻟﻠَّﻪَ ﻭَاﺳْﺘَﻐْﻔَﺮَ ﻟَﻬُﻢُ اﻟﺮَّﺳُﻮﻝُ ﻟَﻮَﺟَﺪُﻭا اﻟﻠَّﻪَ ﺗَﻮَّاﺑًﺎ ﺭَﺣِﻴﻤًﺎ (4:64)

We sent no Messenger, but to be obeyed by Allah's leave. If they, when they were unjust to themselves, had come to you and begged Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had begged forgiveness for them, indeed, they would have found Allah All-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

If they (hypocrites), when they had been unjust to themselves, had come to you. (4:64)

We sent not a messenger, but to be obeyed, in accordance with the will of Allah. If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful.

5. ﻭَﻣَﻦْ ﻳَﻌْﻤَﻞْ ﺳُﻮءًا ﺃَﻭْ ﻳَﻈْﻠِﻢْ ﻧَﻔْﺴَﻪُ ﺛُﻢَّ ﻳَﺴْﺘَﻐْﻔِﺮِ اﻟﻠَّﻪَ ﻳَﺠِﺪِ اﻟﻠَّﻪَ ﻏَﻔُﻮﺭًا ﺭَﺣِﻴﻤًﺎ (4:110)
And whoever does evil or wrongs himself, but afterwards seeks Allah's forgiveness, he will find Allah Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (4:110)''

If any one does evil or wrongs his own soul but afterwards seeks Allah's forgiveness, he will find Allah Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

Al-Hakim recorded that Ibn Abbas said,

"Ask me about Surah An-Nisa', for I learned the Qur'an when I was still young.''
Al-Hakim said,

"This Hadith is Sahih according to the criteria of the Two Sahihs, and they did not collect it.''

This is the end of the first lesson, and all praise and thanks are due to Allah.

Jazak Allahu khairan.

Compilation by a sister in Islam.