Holding On

He watched her closely as she strode into the department, avoiding any eye contact with the nurses station. Following her, Grace walked sluggishly, staring at her phone and then glancing at Jacob who she noticed admiring her mother.

It had been 2 weeks since Connie called their relationship off and still Jacob could not understand why. He tried to regain their lost friendship, the spark between them, the way he could make her smile and reveal that softer side to her character. But she was adament. Connie refused to let him break her walls again and did all she could to avoid having to be in contact with him.

Grace finally left for school and as soon as she'd stepped out the doors Jacob walked into Connie's office after knocking lightly. She didn't look up, just made a smart remark about waiting to be called in before entering but he chuckled and she knew exactly who was stood before her. She tensed, her mind suddenly clouded and driven by thoughts of everything she longed to say to him. She inhaled deeply and composed herself.

"Staff Nurse Masters what can I do for you?"

He looked away from her, tired of her acting like they had never been together. He sighed and turned to look at her with a clear sadness and desperation in his eyes. "You can talk to me Connie." She tried to ignore the hurt in his voice and suppressed her growing emotions "Jacob, I'm sorry but this isn't the time or the place. Now if there's nothing else..." She signalled for him to leave and after they're eyes locked for one brief moment, he did as she asked and walked out.