Last Night

As a gentle ray of light escaped through the curtain, it fell across Connie who stirred softly before waking. The warmth beneath her radiated a soothing comfort as the events of last night dominated her thoughts. Jacob had held her closely for hours and Connie allowed a beaming smile to grace her lips, turning to look at the man who had rightfully gained full possession of her heart.

After a moment of drinking in his appearance, she laid her head against his bare chest and closing her eyes softly, listened to his quiet breaths as Jacob continued to lay sleeping, oblivious to the way he affected her. With ease, he restored a serenity within her, a sense of calm that she was previously unaware existed.

To Connie, being exposed to such happiness was rare and it scared her that, like each time before, it wouldn't last. Her fear began to grow and she contemplated the ways in which their loving relationship may reach its painful end but before her doubts grew deep enough to create the sense of regret, Jacob called her name, slipping from his slumber, almost as if he could sense her uneasiness. She lifted her head slightly to meet his gaze and the fear washed away as she lost herself in his eyes.

Jacob couldn't believe the sight before him. For months he'd dreamt of this moment, he'd woken day after day and longed for the same thing....for her. He rose a hand to her cheek and slowly pulled her closer until her forehead rested against his. The agonising chemistry between them was undeniable. Their eyes locked for another moment before their lips collided with heated passion. He ran his hands through her hair and she pressed her hand up against his chest before straddling his waist.

"Mum, I can't find my shoes!"

Connie quickly climbed off him and sat up, pulling the duvet up to cover herself as Grace intruded without thinking. An awkwardness filled the room as the young girl realised her mistake. Connie pursed her lips in embarrassment and Grace stood, wide eyed, unsure of how to respond.

'Oh' was the only word she could form.

Connie, too, was lost for words and she stuttered pitifully before regaining some composure. 'Check the shoe rack, darling.' She smiled cautiously to which Grace returned with an expression of uncomfort before leaving the room silently.

Connie sighed when the door finally shut before turning to Jacob who looked at her with the startled expression that he'd worn through the untimely encounter and Connie couldn't help but giggle. Her contagious laugh relieved Jacob as she continued, 'Well, I mean, nothing awkward about that at all.'

Falling back again to lay beside him, she then smiled through the tender kiss he placed against her lips before realising the time.

'Jacob it's 8.30!' She dragged herself from the bed unsteadily but he reached for her hand, willing her to 'Stay. Just another 5 minutes.'

'Hmm if only,' she moaned as he began to trail her neck with soft kisses, gently pulling her back to the bed.

'No, Jacob I have to get to work' she finally resisted, playfully pushing him.

Reluctantly, he gave in, sighing in defeat. Then, watched on in awe as the painfully beautiful woman, who had seconds ago laid in his embrace, walked away.