Chapter 1.

"At 5:00am you all have to be ready outside tomorrow on the top floor. We will be choosing who is accompanying us on the Helicarrier's."

Agent Coulson's voice rang in my ears since he was standing right next to me. He looked stressed and I knew exactly why. Just the other day one of the S.H.I.E.L.D bases had been destroyed by the Tesseract, and Loki was the lead man in this attack. He took some of our agents including Barton. One of the best.

I was with the other S.H.I.E.L.D agents in the cafeteria, hands by our sides and a blank expression on our faces with our S.H.I.E.L.D uniforms on. I kept wondering if Barton was ok. Fury usually told me little bits of what was going on.

After Coulson left I raced out of the cafeteria to find Director Fury. He was in his office talking with the other Directors...

"This is out of line Director. You're dealing with forces you can't control."

"You ever been in a war councilman? In a Firefight? Did you feel and over abundance of control?

"You're saying that this, Asgard is declaring war on this planet?"

"Not Asgard. Loki."

"He can't be working alone. What about the other one? His brother?"

"Our intelligence says Thor's not a hostile, but he's worlds away we can't depend on him to help either. It's up to us."

"Which is why you should be focusing on phase 2. It was designed for exactly..."

"Phase 2 isn't ready. Our enemy is. We need a response team."

"The Avengers initiative was shut down."

"This isn't about the Avenger's."

"You're running the worlds greatest covert security network and your going to leave the fate of the human race to a handful of freaks."

"I'm not leaving anything to anyone. We need a response team. These people may be isolated, unbalanced even, but I believe with the right push they can be exactly what we need."

"You believe?"

"War isn't won by sentiment Director."

"No. It's won by soldiers."
----------------------------------------------
The Director left the room with a determined stride in his step only just noticing me around the corner. "Agent Grace front and centre."

I quickly walked over and stood in from of him. "Yes Director?"

"What did you hear?"

I sighed. "You can't listen to them. You need to assemble them no matter how freakish they can be."

Fury nodded his head. "So then why are you here?"

"I was wondering if I could come with you on the Helicarrier's?"

Fury sighed and started walking away. "No you're not coming. It's too dangerous for you."

"I'm fifteen now. I've been training since I was three years old and I'm in some of the last training classes. Why can't I hitch a ride?"

Fury stopped, grabbed me by the arm and dragged me into the weaponry room. "What if you touch one of them? What if you accidentally take their power?"

"I can't take it without them wanting me to take it. I don't know how I got these powers but I'm not going to be stupid with it."

Nick crossed his arms. "You're not coming. I'm not taking any risks. You might not have any powers right now but if you did accidentally take one then it will be just a switching game. What if you took the hulks powers and then put it into Cap?"

"I'm not stupid! I just want to do a mission!"

Just as I stopped talking the directors ear piece started vibrating. "End of discussion Agent Grace. You are going to walk out of here and go back to your normal routine you understand?"

I wanted to scream but I bit my lip and said the words that would always taste like vomit in my mouth. "Yes Director."