The Undead

I rolled over in bed and glanced at the clock. It's been flashing the same number for almost half an hour! 11:21....11:21...11:21. The same damn thing. Is the power out?

I slipped myself out of my bed in a blob of limbs and Mick's t-shirt. "Mick?" I called. Mick is my boyfriend. I'm pretty sure I love him. We've been living together for almost a month since we left home. College and what not.

I saw little red drops on the hardwood flooring. "Mick, did you get a bloody nose again?" I mumbled to myself as I followed the droplets which were slowly getting bigger, turning into pools. My heart was pounding as I reached the laundry room. Mick was hunched over, eating something.

"Mick?" He looked at me. I couldn't even scream.

His lip was torn off almost to the bottom of his jaw, and one of his ears was completely ripped off. His skin was discoloured, his eyes weren't the sparkling chocolate brown they always were, they were washed out. Dead.

I backed up a few steps...and ran.

I ran as fast as my feet would carry me. I shoved them into my sneakers and I heard a sharp groaning come from the top of the stairs. I squeaked and was out the door before you could say "Shit". My street was in ruins, there was a six car pile-up near Macy's house, and there was various puddles of blood, bodies were scattered and had chunks taken out of them like someone took a bite from an apple.

My heart was in my throat. I wandered the streets until a lightbulb went off in my head. I could go to Connor's house! Connor is my older brother.

I turned no my heel and started walking at a brisk pace towards Connor's apartment.  I passed dead bodies that smelled god awful, they were decomposing fast because of the heat of the sun.

Connor's building came into view, and I ran so fast I got a stitch in my side.

I crept into the lobby, on the look-out for dead people walking. The coast was clear. I tip-toed up the stairs and in front of Connor's door. I knocked as hard as I could. There was a crash and some cursing and the front door opened.

"Katarina, you made me drop my ice cream." Connor narrowed his eyes in annoyance. "Mick is dead. " I said as I pushed my way into his apartment. "He's what? How?" Connor asked, confused. "Dunno, but he ate Mr. Tibbles." Our cat. "Ate him!?" "Yeah, ate him." "Why aren't you crying?" "I've been expecting the zombie apocolypse since you mentioned it last year at that party. Though I never expected it would happen, I kept it as a possibility." Katarina, you're such a liar. "Katarina, you're such a liar." Connor echoed my thoughts. "Now would you like some pants?" "Oh my god, yes." I snatched a pair of his ex-girlfriends jeans out of his hand and slipped them on over my shoes. They fit pretty well, but they were a bit loose around my hips.

The world ended today.