The First Time For Many Things

At first, only a few figures are visible. Then, slowly, more and more begin to come into view. I reach out and, without thinking, grab David's arm. He looks down at me, clearly surprised.

"I'm scared," I whisper, my voice so quiet I can barely here it. He nods, his face grim. "It's okay. I won't let them hurt you," he says. I manage a weak smile. "After all, you're one of us now," he adds. He rests his hand on mine. "Welcome to the family, Aura."

~

I'm surrounded by wolves. There's so many of them. I've lost sight of David. He'd vanished when the werewolves began swarming to get to me. But for some reason, they didn't attack. They left me alone, some circle around me and others stay wide away. I look down the cliff edge, only meters away from me now.

A sudden stab of pain hits me. I bend over, clutching my middle, a wave of nausea engulfing me. My head throbs with pain and I fall to my knees. The pain is excruciating.

I scream in agony and I feel tears rolling down my cheeks, I clench my teeth to stop myself from screaming and squeeze my eyes shut.

I feel my chest enlarge and instantly know what's going on. I manage one open eye. I stare down at my hands and my other eye flies open, widening. It's happening. I watch my hands shift, my nails changing into claws. I raise my hand to my teeth. Fangs. I'm changing.

I pant, the transformation absorbing all of my energy. Another flash of pain swims over me and I collapse. My cheek hits the cold ground. I see a few werewolves gather around me through the corners of my eyes.

Darkness swarms over my vision. My body's painful and I can't breathe. So I let the darkness take me.

~

I watch her fall, using all of my will to stop myself from dashing to her side. I clench my fists, hanging by my side. Her eyes shut and I know she's out. I instantly break out of the spell holding me still and rush to her side, pushing past my pack.

I fall beside her, pulling her into my arms. She looks so different. Looks so much like...my mother. I push back a few strands of loose hair, tucking it behind her ear. "I'll take her home," I announce.

I slip my arms under her pale legs and under her back and get to my feet. She felt surprisingly light in my arms. I turn around and head towards her house.

~

I set her slowly onto her bed, her transformation completely worn off, leaving her human. I sit myself next to her. I look down at her. She looked so peaceful, so beautiful.

I smile to myself. "It's such a privilege to know you, Aura." Then, I lean in and kiss her.