Understanding And Accepting

It's been 3 weeks since my werewolf incident. I flip through the book splayed out in front of me on my pillow. It was the book I'd borrowed from the library. As David had scanned the barcode, my attention was turned away from him, and it was all the way out of the library.

I'm still angry at him. But I let myself slip into the book, letting it carry my mind away, letting myself relax. I close my book, keeping one finger on the page as a mark, and read the title. 'Life Isn't Perfect But a Heart Can Be.''

I grimaced. I knew life wasn't the best right now for David, but that didn't mean I had to give up my freedom to be his mate. I mean, I'm 16! I can't. I didn't have any feelings for him. It just wouldn't work.

I sigh. This is so messed up.

I hear a knock. I jerk my head up to face my window and see a figure hovering outside. The darkness outside prevents me from seeing the face clearly. But it's definitely a boy. I can tell from the short hair and broad shoulders.

I jump out of bed, hearing my book slump shut. I walk over to the window and unlock it, pushing it open, being careful not to hit him. "Hey." That voice. I know that voice. David. I look up and see his eyes looking into mine.

I reach for the window, grasping it and hurriedly pulling it shut. But he grabs me before I could close it. I feel the warmth of his hand clasp around my wrist. My eyes meet his again and he smiles.

"I missed you," he says. My face hardens. "I didn't," I reply. I instantly regret it as his grin vanishes. "I'm sorry, that was me-" I begin but he raises a hand to shush me. "It's okay. I understand."

I put a hand on top of his and he looks up at me. This time, I smile. "You know what book I was reading?" I ask. He shakes his head. My smile broadens. "Have you heard of ' Life Isn't Perfect But a Heart Can Be?" I ask. "Yes, I have," he replies.

I take a deep breathe. Am I ready? It didn't matter. I have to be. "David, I'm sorry about the way I treated and yelled at you in the library. I should've considered how you were feeling back then. You've been through so much. I'm sorry." He puts a hand on my shoulder and smiles.

I continue. "That book, it really knocked some sense into me. I understand now. I understand how you feel and I want to...give...us...a...shot," I say, feeling my cheeks brighten up. His eyes widen and he grins, uncontrollably. "You finally understand."

I nod. "Took me a while, but I understand now," I sigh. "He reaches for my hand and I let him take it. "But," I begin. He groans. "There's always a but. Go ahead," he mumbles. I nod again. "If we doesn't work, you must promise to leave me alone. And I promise I won't try to purposely mess this chance up. I'm ready to understand and accept if you are. If you trust me."

He smiles. "Deal." I smile back. "Deal."