Chapter IV

{Alex}

Hey everyone! Sorry for the wait. This one's dedicated to poptart102 for her comment--it's always great to have people request an update!

Anyways, on to the story.

THIS ISN'T GONNA work, I thought, sinking down into the bed, exhausted but unable to stop smiling.

It had been a week since I agreed to be friends, hoping that I could drive him away with my gross habits and rude comments. I thought maybe if he decided it wouldn't work, he'd walk away, and it'd wouldn't be quite as hard for me.

Instead, I found myself wanting to be better around him, not just to impress him, but because it made me stronger. I found myself laughing and smiling, looking forward to seeing him, wishing he didn't have to work for the pack so we could hang out longer. I found myself looking forward to our nightly dinners, which I usually managed to burn beyond salvation.

And the idiot was amazing at everything! I was really sick of my wolf saying 'told you so' every few minutes, relieved that I was falling for our mate.

I swear, this whole love thing is a sickness. Almost like a cult, really, when you think about it.

Still, I hadn't been completely corrupted yet. Once, he had mentioned coming to meet his pack, and I had flat-out refused. His hurt look had vanished after a second, but my guilt had taken a few days to subside.

I took in a few deep breathes, trying to calm my heart rate. I needed to find a way out, and quick. I just couldn't risk my heart again... not after him.

I hate that. I hate that that one night changed everything, that I can't just get up and move on. I hate that because of him, I'm afraid to love because when I do, bad things happen to me and those I care about.

I can do this, I thought, my eyes closed as I desperately fought against reality, I can remember this and enjoy it and cherish it while it lasts. I just also have to remember that nothing lasts forever--especially not a love tainted with secrets like mine.

I had just gotten into bed for the night when a knock sounded at the door. I closed my eyes for a moment, wishing they'd just go away, but a second knock came a moment later, more insistent. I got up, moving to the door, and opened it without thinking to check the keyhole like usual.

Big mistake.

In an instant, three people--weres, by the smell--were in my apartment, reaching for me. I saw the glint of needle and my instincts kicked in, the ones that processed every movement as a threat and screamed to get out by any means necessary. The next few moments were a blur; dodging and hitting, no pain registering. It was only a mixture of luck and wolf instincts that saved me from getting stabbed with the needle, which was almost certainly some form of of poison or sedative.

"Alex. Alex! Hey, calm down. It's just me," someone was saying a millisecond later. I didn't hear them at first, though--the pounding of my heart and flight instincts were overpowering, blocking out rational thought.

"Alex!" someone called, and this time, it made it through. My tunnel vision expanded and I looked around, still shaking as I tried to re-attain control of my body.

"Jack?" I asked, hating how small and confused my voice sounded.

"Yeah. Are you okay?" he asked, looking around, terrified.

"I... yeah. I'm okay, I just kinda went wolf for a second."

"I noticed. What happened?"

"These guys jumped me when I opened the door. How come you knew to come get me?"

"Just a hunch. I've been hearing rumors about a particularly nasty group of wolves, and then my wolf started saying you were hurt or scared or both, so I decided to come and make sure everything was okay. Clearly, I wasn't needed," he said, surveying the damage with wide eyes. "Guess the martial arts came in handy."

"No kidding," I said, biting back hysterical laughter. I could still feel the taint of my skin from where they had grabbed me, and the age-old fear from the alley that night resurfaced in all its glory.

I didn't even realize I was shaking until Jack put his hand on me and Lilia calmed slightly, knowing our mate was here, that we were once again safe.

Hey, I thought, mildly irritated. We were fine before, too. In case you didn't notice, I was the one who fended them off.

But I couldn't deny that I felt better with him around too.

"Um, I'm gonna go... take a shower," I said, hesitantly. I didn't want to leave my mate, but I knew that right now, the most emotionally healthy thing was for me to get the lingering sensation off my skin.

"Okay," he said, looking briefly disappointed. "I guess I should probably--"

"Wait!" I blurted, flushing red before I could stop myself. "I just... Would you stay?"

Idiot, idiot, idiot, I thought restlessly, hating how small my voice sounded.

"Sure," he said, biting back a smile. "I'll be here when I get out."

I walked away slowly, terrified by certain I was that he wasn't lying.

***

When I got out, the first thing I noticed was the smell. Like basil and tomato, oil and a hint of some unrecognizable herbs and spices... My stomach growled lightly, and I walked in, a half-smile pulling at my lips. Sure enough, Jack was sitting in the middle of the room on the couch, a still-steaming plate of pasta resting on the coffee table.

"You're still here," I said, tentatively. He glanced up, smiling.

"Of course."

"And you made food."

"Well, if I didn't make you something, you'd have tried to cook, and I think this night has been traumatic enough without burning down the apartment building."

I scowled, but I wasn't big headed enough (yet) to deny it. The last time I had tried to cook something, the fire alarms had gone off.

"So, what now?" I asked, sitting down and biting back a moan as I took my first bite.

He moved forwards, mischief glinting in his eyes. "Now..." he began huskily. I coughed, choking on my pasta as I tried not to freak out even more. What did he have in mind, and why did he have to use that tone?

"... I beat your ass at Monopoly."

I scowled, hitting his arm, but I couldn't hid my relief. I wasn't ready for that yet, and chances were I never would be.

Especially since I didn't like him.

Right?