Chapter IX

{Jack}

IT SOUNDED CHEESY, but my whole world seemed to glow brighter these days.

I spent my days at the Pack house, cooking and making small talk, then slipping away as evening clean-up was done to steal a couple minutes with Alex. We still hadn't told my Pack about her, but I didn't exactly mind having her all to myself. The days seemed to glide by, one turning into the next, until I realized a whole month had passed.

That didn't mean nothing happened, of course--I ran into Mr. O'Connor a few more times, and there was a notable experience for the kitchen staff involving kerosine, a flock of ducks, and a spatula, but nothing except Alex seemed quite real anymore. It was like the real world was a technicolor dream, and my time with her, in all its fantastical glory, was the only real, solid thing.

It was ironic, because half the time, we did completely random things--things that seemed like something out of a fever dream--like the time she somehow convinced me to dress up like an Englishman and go order hot dogs from every cart in the city in a terrible accent, just so she could decide which cart was the best. I'm still not sure why I needed to dress up or make a fool of myself, and it all came to nothing anyways--the winner ended up being a Frankenstein-dog, with the bun from one place, the hot dog from another, and the toppings from a third. She gave me the Franken-dog as a trophy, and I had to admit, it was pretty good.

Another time, we got into a discussion about the sulfurous smell around her building (which still hadn't gone away), coming up with the craziest theories as to what caused it. Eventually, I asked if she was going to move. She laughed and said she could barely afford her current place, and we ended up wandering around the city, going into random buildings and designing our own dream apartment. It came out ridiculously--a huge kitchen for me, something like a dozen bedrooms, a study for her, a library, a dining room with a balcony... It was insanely overdone, but we couldn't stop smiling.

Even as I covered my nose, heading for the elevator, I couldn't help the grin at the thought of seeing her. Just as the door was closing, a hand was shoved through, and the door opened again.

"Mr. O'Connor! How nice to see you!" I said, my smile widening, although a little forced. He seemed like a nice guy, but I was running into him everywhere, and there was only so much small talk I could handle without wanting to rip my hair out.

"You too, Jack. How's Alex?"

"Good, good."

Awkward silence settled over us, and I watched the numbers tick past on the elevator.

"Well, this is my--" we began at the same time.

"Sorry," he said. "Please, go ahead.

"Thank you, Mr. O'Connor. Have a good day."

"You too."

He started down the hallway ahead of me, scooting to the side as an elderly woman ambled past, crossing Alex's door's path. I walked up, using the tarnished gold knocker to attract her attention--a feat, considering how loudly music was blasting. She opened after only a few seconds, though, frowning.

"Hey, Jack! Sorry--I didn't think you were coming until two."

"It is two, Alex."

"Oh," she said, blushing, "I kinda got caught up studying... sorry. I'll clean up, just wait for one--"

She froze, catching sight of Mr. O'Connor. For just a second, I thought I saw him glanced back and wink at her, but then I blinked, and he was further down the hall, walking without a care in the world.

I turned my gaze to her, ready to tell her about Mr. O'Connor, only to pause, stunned.

I'd seen Alex in many states. I'd seen her sad, and happy, and angry. I'd watched her cry and laugh and scream and sometimes do all three at once.

But I'd never seen Alex scared... which she clearly was now. Her skin had gone pale, and she was shaking like a leaf stuck in between a tree and the wind. Her knuckles were the color of pure snow, clamped around the door, and for the first time in as long as I'd know her, she looked like a deer in the headlights.

"Alex? Are you okay?" I knew it was a stupid question, but I needed to be doing something, so I asked anyways. She didn't answer, just slowly backing into her apartment, like a cornered animal.

"How... No, it's not..." she was muttering, seemingly unaware that she was even speaking out loud.

"Alex! What's going on?"

"I have to go."

I wasn't sure why, but there was something in the finality of those words that terrified me.