Chapter 5: Merry Christmas

"And I've been working on my next mixtape. I really would like to release it sometime this spring, but that depends on the company and if I can get everything done to my satisfaction.

"I've also been starting to work with producers on a few of our songs. It's interesting and kind of difficult, but Suga hyung, another rapper in my group, helps me sometimes. He's been producing some of our songs for a while."

Namjoon paused, thinking about the crushing schedule he'd be going back to after Christmas. He looked over at Chunhwa to ask her what she was up to these days, since he'd been talking for a while. But she obviously hadn't been listening.

He shook his head, a smile on his face. She was asleep again. Jungkook always seemed to fall asleep in the car too.

Namjoon looked at Seulgi and Areum, who were engrossed in their own conversation. After a moment, Seulgi looked in the rearview mirror and saw Namjoon looking at him. "So you finally noticed?"

Namjoon had to laugh. "Ne."

"It only took you six minutes." Seulgi looked over at Areum. "I thought he was a genius."

Areum laughed and looked back at Namjoon. "Most of the time."

"Okay, okay. Areum, how have you been?"

"Very good. I love my new job at the daycare, and Suelgi gets to come into town almost every weekend."

Namjoon smiled, just the tiniest bit jealous of their steady relationship. "That's good."

Seulgi slowed to turn onto their road. "Namjoon, would you mind waking Chunhwa up? We're almost home. Oh, Areum, what are you doing next weekend?"

The two started chattering again as Namjoon looked over at Chunhwa. "Chunhwa, wake up," he said. She didn't stir.

He leaned closer. "Wake up." Hesitantly, he put his hand on her shoulder and pushed her a little. "Chunhwa. Wake up."

She blinked slowly, frowning, and then shoved his hand away. "Don't touch me, pabo."

Namjoon looked at her. Pabo?

Seulgi looked back and laughed. "You're lucky she didn't swear at you. Our Chunhwa wakes up rough, doesn't she?"

"Shut up," Chunhwa mumbled.

Namjoon chuckled, only to be glared at by Chunhwa. He turned to the window to hide his smile.

*

I closed the car door perhaps a little harder than necessary and rubbed my eyes. I hated the sleepy feeling my eyes got when I slept for less than an hour.

"We'll do something more fun before Christmas comes," my brother said. "Right, Areum?"

Areum laughed. "That would be good."

"That's really not necessary," I growled. My knees, which had felt fine when I fell, were now complaining loudly and would not shut up.

"Aw, is Chunhwa still not awake?" Seulgi teased.

I did the only thing I could – I scooped up some snow and threw a snowball at him.

He laughed and bent to make his own snowball. Areum got into the fight and pelted me. I ran behind the car, slamming into Namjoon.