Chapter 10: Straight Out of a Bad Drama

I smiled at my computer screen, ignoring Hajun's puppy stare. "I'm quite busy, young one."

"Come on, Chunhwa, it's closing time."

"I'm staying late to work on some things." I glanced up at him. "Sorry, Hajun. I'm busy."

He smiled back, taking the eye contact as permission to speak. "Well, what's your answer today? Will you please go on a date with me?"

I turned my eyes back to my computer, trying to keep the teasing out of my voice. "Hm... let's see if you can go a whole week without mentioning a date. Then we'll talk."

"A whole week? Chunhwa, you're too cruel!"

"Oh yes, so cruel," I agreed. "Goodbye, Hajun."

"Bye, noona," he returned, leaving.

I smiled as I watched him go. Sometimes it didn't feel real, to have him so boldly pursuing me. He was so funny, and so happy. There was an unreservedness about him that was like a breath of fresh air.

I looked at my schedule. This was only the third week back into classes, but the work was intense this semester. As much as I wanted to tell Hajun yes when he asked me on a date, I didn't have time for anything like that. Besides, how weird would it be to go out with someone I'd only met three weeks ago and who'd asked me on a date every day I saw him?

Oh, his persistence was no joke, and was confusing to me. What could he have seen in me that first day to make him ask me out?

My phone buzzed with a reminder that I had a test tomorrow, and I grimaced. I didn't have time to deal with this fresh-faced kid.

The conference was this weekend, too. I really didn't know how I'd get everything done, but I'd manage as usual.

I sighed and massaged my head. Only a year and a half more, if I didn't decide to continue beyond four years. Which I was certainly considering - I enjoyed working at a newspaper, and I had an internship lined up with a real newspaper, but I was beginning to lean towards being a professor and teaching writing.

What was I even doing with my life? I didn't want to think about the future, but I would have to at some point.

Not right now. I buried myself in research for my article.

*

I was walking down the street when I saw Creepface walking toward me, talking on his cell phone. I gulped and kept my gaze straight ahead, wondering if he'd look at me.

No. He just walked by, listening to the caller. I bit my lip and cursed myself for being a fool. He wasn't a stalker, wasn't watching me, and I had dreamed the whole thing up. I was both relieved and annoyed.

Reaching the apartment building, I ran up the stairs and trotted down the hallway to my room. It was wonderful, how freeing it was to finally be sure that I was not being followed.

"Jisuk, are you home?" I called.

"I'm in the shower!" she yelled.

I smiled and texted Seulgi. I'm sure now that Creepface isn't stalking me!

I was humming as I started fixing dinner. I kept checking my phone, surprised that Seulgi hadn't responded yet. Oh well, he must've been busy.

After fixing dinner, I tapped on the bathroom door. "Food's ready."

Jisuk came out, drying her hair. "You actually cooked? And you're smiling! What's wrong?"