Chapter 13: Missing

Walking into work, I greeted everyone and headed to my desk. Sighing, I set down my heavy backpack with a thump. What was even in there?

I looked down at my desk to see a single rose lying there. No note.

Smiling softly, I picked up the red flower. I liked the elegance of one flower better than a full bouquet, something I hadn't thought Hajun would guess.

I set the rose gently off to the side of my desk and began work. A few minutes later, Hajun hurried to my desk. "Chunhwa, I have the pictures!" He stopped and stared at my desk. "Where did you get that rose?"

I looked over at him, ready to laugh and thinking he was joking, but his face was genuinely confused. My skin prickled.

"I thought it was from you," I said slowly.

"No," he said. "I wouldn't have given you one measly flower, I'd have gotten a whole bunch."

One corner of my mouth smiled. "Then I don't know where I got it. It was sitting here, with no note, when I got here this morning."

Hajun frowned. "That's weird."

I nodded, staring at the rose.

"Why don't you ask around the office and see if you can find anything out? And let me know if anything else weird happens," he said.

"Yep. Didn't you say something about pictures?" I said.

He smiled suddenly. "Look!" He spread out a dozen pictures on my desk. "These are the best ones."

I looked at the pictures from our evening at the Cheonggeyecheon River linear park. Hajun had insisted on doing something special for what he called our 'one-month couple anniversary,' even though I thought it unnecessary. He'd gone nuts with the picture-taking.

"They are nice," I said.

He pulled his wallet out. "Pick out some pictures of you that I can keep in my wallet, and some pictures of me that you can keep in your purse."

I smiled unbelievingly. He was so very enthusiastic about this relationship. It wasn't that I didn't like being his girlfriend; it was just hard to equal his unbridled eagerness.

"Here," I said, and handed him one of the both of us and two just of me. I chose vice versa for myself and tucked them in my purse.

"Thanks for going with me," he said. "I had a lot of fun."

"So did I," I said. I turned and held his hand. "Have you realized that it's only a month or two until the semester ends and I start my internship for the summer?"

He pouted. "I'm going to miss you so much, Chunhwa!"

"I'll miss you too," I said. "Don't get too crazy if you don't see me almost every day."

"I'll try." He sighed dramatically.

I squeezed his hand. "I should get back to work."

"Are you busy tonight?" he asked.

"Actually, yes. I need to get some substantial work done on a paper. What about tomorrow evening?"

"It's a date!" He winked and headed off to his own desk. I turned my eyes to my desk and saw the rose. Where did you come from?