Chapter 10 Bikes and Pain

Reyna

Reyna

~~~

"So your plan is to have Jacob fix up these bikes so you have an excuse to see him?" I conclude and cross my arms. Bella snagged our neighbors trash bikes before they could be taken to the dump and forced me to load them on the truck.

"Exactly," Bella says. "Danger comes on bikes."

I bite my lip as anxiety and heartbreak begin to sink in. I have to stay with Bella to make sure she's safe but I don't know if I can handle being around Jacob.

"Fine let's just go," I grumble and climb in the passenger seat. Bella hops in the drivers seat and soon we're off to the reservation.

Ten silent minutes pass before Bella clears her throat.

"So you still like him?"

I freeze and my throat seems to go dry. To avoid answering I take a long gulp deer blood.

"You do don't you?"

With a sigh I face Bella and give her a flat look.

"I think some part of me will always likes him. I think I even loved him, maybe I still do," I murmur. "The way he made me feel was...electric."

"What about Jade?" Bella's questions force my lingering feelings for Jacob and guilt about Jade resurface.

"Jade knows I feel for him. Jade is different though, I really really like Jade....Jade is fun and she makes everything brighter," I utter truthfully. "When I'm around Jade all their crushing feelings about Jacob and them
aren't as painful."

Bella hums and clutches the wheel. She seems to understand.

"I'm just in a tough place right now Bells," I add and swallow thickly to get the lump out of my throat. "It'll pass."

Jacob and I were fleeting moments, passing glances, and nothing more...but why did it leave me like this?

~~~

The truck pulls up to Jacobs house and my stomach flips. I really wish Jade was home today.

Bella hops out and pulls the rap from the bikes out back. I stay in the truck and watch.

Jacob Black comes running out f the house seconds later with a huge grin plastered on his face. It's not a grin for me.

I remember when that grin was for me.