Chapter 15: A Very Drunk Michel

In the next few minutes, Michel had run of, mounted his horse and fled the area at top speed followed by Jack. Lisa had assured me that they'd come back before we took the carriage home. It was now 9:00 pm and there was still no sign of them. In my nervousness, I'd cleaned the kitchen twice and done some gardening as well but my mind kept flashing back to the guilt I'd seen in Michel's face before he'd rushed off. My heart clenched painfully and my hands started scrubbing the table a lot harder

"We're home," Jack's voice called and I dropped the cloth and made my way to the sitting area. I had expected a furious Michel, or an upset one but I'd never thought he'd be drunk. Michel was sprawled out across the couch, his arms and legs at weird angles and his face tilted up to the ceiling. Lisa came running downstairs and stopped in her tracks when she saw her son. Michel looked up as she came in.

"I'm sorry Mother, I, I didn't mean to do that. It's just you were crying and he was smirking and.... he deserved it right brother," his voice trailed of towards the end. Lisa was staring at him with wide eyes while Jack just looked crushed as he sat himself down beside Michel.

"I messed up so bad didn't I, I beat someone up and now my mother is disappointed in me and the woman I like is afraid of me."

My eyes bulged at what he'd said. He liked me. My heart was threatening to leap out of my chest in joy. I looked at Michel who was looking at me with a vacant expression on his face. It was then I that I realized he had absolutely no idea what he was saying. A pang of disappointment rushed through me.

"I'm going up," Michel said before going up stairs, swaying and slipping along the way. Neither Jack nor Lisa went after him. I looked at them both with a confused expression before racing upstairs, taking the steps 2 at a time. I found him leaning against my bedroom door, looking slightly out of focus until he saw me.

"I'm not afraid of you Michel," I said in the steadiest voice I could muster with him near me. His eyes looked my body up and down before settling on my face with a blank expression on his.

'Oh really," he slurred before moving towards me. He kept moving until my back hit the wall behind us and his arms trapped me there. His blue eyes stared into mine and I could feel the length of his body on me even though we weren't touching. I realized with a start that we were both breathing hard, not just me. He leaned his head even closer until our lips were centimeters apart.

"Are you afraid of me now," he asked in a low husky voice. I bit my lip and his eyes glanced down at them before focusing on my eyes.

"No," I said but this time my voice was slightly trembling.

His hand slowly brushed away a lock of my hair before caressing the side of my face making me shiver with pleasure. His hands then trailed down to my neck, feeling my rapid pulse there.

"Then why is you heart beating so fast Emma?"

He placed his hand back on the wall before looking back at me. I leaned forward slightly, placing my hand against his rapidly beating heart. Now are bodies were pressed up against each other. My stomach was pressed up against his and hipbone was pressed against mine. We were sharing the same breaths and our lips were a hairsbreadth apart.

"Why is yours Michel," I said in a low voice as I felt his rapid heart under my palms, before slipping under his arms and walking back to my room.