Chapter 12: Things Get Real

Mottlepaw raced to the camp, trying not to slip on the wet, muddy ground. "Lionstar!" She yowled, panting heavily when she approached his den.

"What is it, Mottlepaw?" Badgertail growled. "We're kind of busy." Mottlepaw gulped. I didn't know he was in here!

"Uhh... Froststarhasblackcoughandtheytookourlandbecausetheythoughtwewouldhavetheherbstohealitbutwedon'tsonowthey'reweakandtheycouldallsecretlyhaveblackcough!" She spilled out as fast as she could. (Shoutout to you if you could even tell what that said... XD)

"Woah, slow down there." Lionstar chuckled as Mottlepaw fought for breath. "Froststar has blackcough?" He asked, now serious.

Mottlepaw nodded.

"There's no cure for blackcough. ThunderClan was stupid to take our prey." Badgertail said.

Mottlepaw glared at her father. "Desperate times call for desperate measures." She said through clenched teeth. Why is he always so difficult?

Badgertail looked as if he considered her words. "You make the call, Lionstar."

"Mottlepaw!" Tigerfrost called, and he appeared at the den entrance with Oakblaze, Firecloud, and Lilypaw.

"I'm telling them why we shouldn't attack ThunderClan!" Mottlepaw explained.

"Her words make sense," Lionstar said.

"Yes." Tigerfrost pondered. "Maybe we could try to compromise?" He suggested.

"Why not?" Lionstar said. "But we'll need a backup battle patrol if it comes to fighting. Firecloud, Mottlepaw, and Lilypaw will come with me."

As they arrived at the ThunderClan border, Greyfeather and a load of cats appeared as well. Greyfeather snarled at them. "We'll take this land, and you can't stop us!" Though her words were strong, her eyes betrayed how scared and desperate she really was.

"Greyfeather, we don't have to fight," Lionstar said through gritted teeth, and Mottlepaw could see he was trying not to lose his patience. "You can have half of the land."

"How do you know that's enough?!" Some of the warriors behind Greyfeather shouted. Mottlepaw noticed the sky above was growing darker, and storm clouds tore at the horizon.

Lionstar looked helplessly among the ThunderClan cats. "We can't give up this territory. We must fight then." And with a flick of his tail, to Mottlepaw's horror, the battle began.

Thunder, blood, and yowls roared in her ears as she watched her enemies. Who to fight, who to fight... enie menie minie... You! She thought as her eyes landed on a brown apprentice.

"Take this!" Mottlepaw yowled as she flung her unsheathed claws across his ear. He yowled and turned to her, blood running from his ear. He struck her face with so much force Mottlepaw fell down. Ugh, don't let him do that... she thought as she quickly swerved up and swiped her claws across his side and leaped on top of him. He writhed under her until Mottlepaw lost her grip and fell over.

"Take this!" He purred and raked his claws across her soft belly fur. Mottlepaw yowled in agony. The belly rake... I didn't know it would hurt this much! Just as Mottlepaw was about to knock him over, a yowl sounded above them.

"Ooh, I arrived at a bad time, didn't I?" A smooth voice came from a hill, and the sounds of battle stopped. Cats let their enemies go to stare at the newcomer. Mottlepaw's vision was blocked by the brown tom, and frustratedly tried to look over him.

"Well, you're about to have bigger worries on your paws than a mangy little catfight. My name is Jacques, and this is my sister Susan. We have come to right an ancient wrong." Suddenly the cat moved into view, and Mottlepaw's fears were confirmed.

It was the cat who attacked her as a kit.