Chapter 2: Dojo Days

THE NEXT DAY AT THE DOJO

JACK'S POV

Tuesday, February 17th

Milton, Jerry, Kim, Eddie, and I were sitting around stretching and waiting for our sensei Rudy to start practice.

"Come on guys get up. We've got a new student joining us today. In fact, she's a black belt" Rudy told us.

"Really? Who?" Kim asked.

"She just moved here from out of state," Rudy said.

"Where from?" Milton asked.

"Does it matter? We're finally getting another girl in here," Kim added.

"More like another person to beat Milton," Jerry said.

"Speak for yourself monkey arms," Milton replied.

"What did you call me?" Jerry exclaimed starting towards Milton. I jumped in between them.

"Hey, hey, guys! Kim's right. It'll be nice to get some fresh blood in here," I agreed.

"Speak of the devil," Rudy said. "Welcome, you must be Lauren."

"That I am. And you must be Rudy, my new sensei." She said shaking Rudy's hand. When she looked at me, I recognized her. She was the same Lauren that we had met yesterday!

"Jack?" she said surprised. "I didn't know you did karate here!"

"I didn't know you were joining our dojo," I replied.

"Yeah, my mom found this place online and signed me up." She said.

"Wait you guys know each other?" Rudy asked.

"Yeah, we met yesterday. She goes to Seaford High." Milton said.

"Well, this is going to be fun," Rudy said placing a friendly hand on my shoulder.

"So show us some of your moves." Jack encouraged.

"Ok..." she agreed nervously. Everyone backed up and stared at her. She took a breath and did a series of advanced moves and knocked the dummy onto the dirty floor.