Eavesdropping, Eh?

I slurped my drink louder so I couldn't hear Steven and Ronaldo's conversation. I didn't want to hear their conversation.

Crystal gems? What the heck were crystal gems? No genders? Actually, I don't want to know.

I tapped my finger on the table. I slid my finger on the table. The table was so sticky. I was about to complain when Mom came back.

"Did they come get our orders yet?" Mom asked.

"Nope. Not yet," I answered tiredly.

"What's wrong?" Mom figured out that I was feeling down.

"Oh, nothing. I just miss Dad."

"Oh, honey! I do, too." Mom's gaze softened as she reached over and gripped my shoulder. I could see she was holding back tears. "I didn't want to come here to upset you. I just wanted to show you the place where your father and I got married, because we never got to show you together. Just remember he is always with us."

I smiled and held her hand. "I will."

"If you want to leave, we can."

I heard a gasp behind me. I peered over my shoulder and looked behind me. Ronaldo and Steven were looking at me. But once my gaze met theirs, they turned back towards each other, pretending to be deep in conversation.

I covered up my spying by pretending there was something in my eye. "No, it's fine. We don't need to leave." I heard a sigh behind me which was cut off quickly. I suddenly looked over my shoulder and say Steven with his hand over Ronaldo's mouth. I smiled and rolled my eyes.

I laid Mom's hand on the table and patted it before pulling away. Mom's face was immediately full of disgust. I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Aww, jeez!! What's on this table? It's sticky!!"

"I know, right? We'll have to complain on the way out."

"No, I'll go tell them now. I'll be right back."

"Okay." I smiled.

Once Mom got up and walked to the front of the restaurant to complain, I peeped over my shoulder.

"Eavesdropping, eh?" I managed through a giggle. Steven blushed and Ronaldo slammed his fists on the table. He stood up and protested.

"No!! We're watching a top secret video on Keep Beach City Weird!!" Ronaldo then folded his hands, slowly sat down, and whispered to Steven.

I chuckled and looked back at the empty booth across from me. Mom was kindly letting Kiki know about the tables.

I wonder if Steven is normally sneaky. Or if Ronaldo still thinks I'm an alien... Or if Steven likes me...