Chapter 10

Nate

I walked back into Clarissa's room, hoping I didn't look like too much of a mess when Mike shouted, "Crap! I gotta go you two, I'm late for my college exam, I'll be back in a couple of hours, bye!"

He slammed the door behind me, and I heard him run out of the house and drive away.

I turned toward Clarissa. She hadn't even moved since we left. She didn't even flinch when I walked toward the bed.

"Hey, Clarissa–" She jumped a mile, jerking out of her thoughts. "H-hey, didn't see you there. Where's Mike?"

"He just left. Something about an exam."

She paled slightly. "Oh, his college exam. I hope he didn't miss it because of me."

I shook my head. "Nah, I bet he'll be fine. What were you thinking about? You didn't move an inch when he started shouting and slamming doors."

She looked down. She seemed...scared. "Just about my nightmare. I wish I could forget it." She shuddered. "It was definitely not something I want to relive."

I climbed into the bed beside her. She rested her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes. Soon I heard soft snoring sounds. I smiled to myself and sat there for a while, just watching her. Soon, though, I gently laid her head on the pillow. I got up and silent walked out, gently closing the door behind me. I looked at me watch. It was about noon. I made my way to kitchen to make myself some lunch.

I began to search the cupboards for something to eat, settling for a bowl of Cheerios. As I ate I began to think. All those raw emotions from telling Mike about my past were still there, bubbling under the surface. I needed a way to release them. Cutting won't help this time.

I looked around. What to do, what to do? My gaze settled on the front door. I could go for a run. That might help.

I finished my cereal and put the bowl in the sink. I grabbed my phone, put in my earbuds. I walked outside and started running down the street, listening to one of my favorite songs by Three Days Grace.

Pain, without love.

Pain, I can't get enough.

Pain, I like it rough,

'Because I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all.

As I ran down the street, listening to music, I felt some of the emotions release, and I felt great. I smiled and continued to run, enjoying the feeling of the wind. As the singer took a breath, though, in that millisecond of silence, I heard a voice that I've feared most of my life.

"Nathan Walker, where do you think you're going?" 

 I ran as fast as I could, running from that man. I heard a car start up, I ran even faster. Adrenaline pumped through my veins and I was breathing hard. I couldn't keep going like this. Eventually the rush would fade, and he would catch me. 

 I turned a corner. Right into a dead end. 

 I stopped. I didn't even turn around,not even when I heard the car pull in behind me. My music was still playing. 

  'Because I'd rather feel pain then nothing at all. 

 The song ended. I heard footsteps walking up to me. There was a flaring pain in the back of my head, and I saw no more as darkness consumed me.