Epilogue

Clarissa

Six months. Six months since we'd rescued Nate, since my leg was amputated. Six months since all of that.

I stared at the school building, Nate standing beside me. I no longer needed the wheelchair, not for about a month. My leg was strong enough to walk on, at least, what was left of it, but I held a cane just to help. It was our first day back. Nate's cuts had healed a long time ago. They were nothing but pale white lines on his chest, but he'd insisted on staying home with me until I was ready.

My gaze shifted from the school to my boyfriend. He'd officially moved in after he'd been discharged at the hospital, but even still, both he and Mike practically lived there with me till it was my turn.

Nate turned to face me, smiling. Mike had gotten him new glasses, since I'd broken the last pair. In my opinion, the new pair looked better on him anyway.

"You ready, Clarissa?" He took my hand. I nodded, and, together, we entered the school. It was the beginning of the day still, but we had arrived late. Mike had fussed over the both of us, asking repeatedly if we were ready to go back, specifically me, but, after about an hour after school officially began, he allowed the two of to get into Nate's car and drive to school.

The hallways were empty, as expected. Everybody should be in the middle of their second period classes. Nate guided me along to the office, pausing whenever I stumbled. I may be able to walk on the prosthetic, but that didn't mean I was good at it yet.

When we arrived at the office, Nate gently rapped on the door to alert Mr. Renninger, the school secretary, of our presence. He looked at us from over his glasses and smiled. "Ah, Clarissa Bittani and Nate Walker. So good to see you in the building again. I hope you're doing well."

I saw his eyes fixate on my cane, so I tapped it against the ground. Answering his unasked question. I said, "Only temporary. I'm fine, thank you."

He nodded, and glanced at his computer. "Well, everything is in order. You may go to your locker than your second period class. You have a lot to catch up on."

We both nodded and walked back down the hallway to my locker. Nate's was practically on the other side of the school, but he didn't want to leave my side. That he'd made very clear before we even got in the car.

"Are you sure you want me to leave you? As soon as Jason finds out your back, he's going to come after you and–"

"Don't worry, Nate." I cut in. "I'll be fine." I shut my locker, books in hand. "Besides, there are a few things I want to say to Jason O'Conners."

Nate still looked worried. I rolled my eyes. "Go to class, Nate. I'll see you at the end of the day." I gave him a small kiss on the cheek, and turned and went to my second period class. I looked back once, to see him still standing there, watching me leave. I smiled at him, and he turned and walked away.

The rest of the day went by in a huge blur. I was greeted and questioned all day about where I've been and why I had the cane. My jeans hid my prosthetic, and I didn't want the extra attention, so I just gave them vague answers or ignored them. The end of the day could come fast enough.

I immediately jumped up when the dismissal bell rang and stumbled. Stupid leg. I ignored my classmates' offers to help and just walked away, back to my locker. I was not at all surprised to see my old bully Jason O'Conners leaning against it, waiting for me.

"A little birdie told me," he said. "That you were back in the building. And it seems it was right." He stood up straight and walked toward me. "How's the leg, m'lady?"

"Metal," I replied. His face transformed from one of arrogant cockiness to one of confusion.

"What?"

"I had to get my leg amputated." I leaned my cane against the lockers and rolled up my jeans, revealing the gleam of the prosthetic. "The stab wound got infected. I almost died." I rolled my jeans back down and stared at the kid who used to terrify me. "You don't scare me anymore, Jason. You nearly killed me and tormented me for years, but after what happened to me that weekend all those months ago, you are insignificant in my mind."

I stepped closer to him. Jason gulped. He looked...nervous. I smiled. He had none of his 'friends' around to make himself feel stronger, and I no longer feared him. He was just a spoiled teenager. "Get out of here, Jason. Run away, before I lose my own self-control and decide to repay the favor."

Jason followed my order and bolted, tripping over his own feet. I watched him leave, and then turned around to the sound of a slow applause.

"That was amazing. You should've seen yourself."

I smiled at Nate. "How long have you been there?"

"Long enough to see Jason nearly wet his pants. Who knew you had it in you?"

I shrugged. "I certainly didn't. I'd just had enough."

Nate walked over to me from where he'd been standing farther down the hall. His back pack was thrown over his shoulder. "Now that that particular mess has been taken care of, why don't you get your stuff so we can go home? We've only been back at school one day, yet I was still bored to tears."

I laughed. "That sounds about right."

I quickly grabbed my back pack from my locker. "Alright let's go." I made to leave, Nate beside me, but then he stopped suddenly.

"Oh wait! Look what I have!" He dug around his pocket for a second before removing something. I gasped.

"My necklace!" I took it carefully from his outstretched hand and stared at him. "How did you get it?"

"I saw a girl wearing it earlier and thought it looks a lot like yours. Apparently she was Jason's girlfriend. When I asked her where she got it, she said Jason gave it to her, and when I explained where he got it, she gave it to me, apologizing. She had no idea about Jason's bullying habit. Here." He took the necklace from me. "Turn around."

I obeyed, and he fastened my mother's pearl necklace around my neck. I turned back around and hugged him. "Thank you."

He wrapped his arms around me. "You're welcome."

"Hey!"

We let go of each other and turned. Mike was standing in the hallway, only a few feet away from us. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Mike! What are you doing here?" I felt my face heat up slightly.

He ignored me. "Do you know what time it is? Your school got out half an hour ago! How long have you been just standing here?"

"Uh...apparently a long time."

Mike rolled his eyes. "Come on, come on! God, you two! Let's get home!"

I looked at Nate. My boyfriend smiled, grabbed my hand, and whispered, "Let's go before Mike gets madder." I let him pull me along, laughing. Mike kept looking back at us and urging us to hurry up all the way to the parking lot.

I piled into Nate's car while Mike got into his own. As soon as Nate closed his door, my brother honked the horn at us.

"Oh my God, Mike," I muttered. "Bit overkill there."

Nate laughed. "Oh well." He kissed me, ignoring Mike's horn again. His lips tasted like cherries. We broke apart, and he whispered:

"Let's go home."