Chapter 3

The next morning I woke up to a little girl laying on me and giggling. 

"Hey Little One."

"Hi Rose! Mommy slept with you?"

"Yeah, she was sad last night, so  I tried to cheer her up."

"Good, no one ever cheers her up."

Ava looks down sad. This little girl is smart and observant for a 5 year old. I pick her up careful not to wake Alaska and take her to the kitchen. "So Little One, how about them pancakes?" Ava screamed and started to jump around in my arms."Calm down, we don't wanna wake up Mommy do you?" Ava immediately stopped. "Do you want to help me make them?" "Yes!"

I put all the ingredients in a bowl and had Ava stir it. She made a huge mess. As I was watching her laugh and giggle, I saw a shadow come into the corner of my eye. I looked up and saw Alaska smiling at us.

"How long have you been there?"

"Long enough to know to see my daughter happy."

I smiled happily. I took the batter from Ava and started to cook the pancakes. After I finished, I had the three of us sit at my table and eat.

"Mommy can we come here more often,she makes the best pancakes."

Alaska gasps in mock offense and starts to fake cry. I looked at Ava and she ran to her mom hugging her. "I am sorry Mommy, I didn't mean that you make bad ones." Ava started to tear up thinking she hurt her mom. Alaska looked at her daughter and hugged her back, "baby I was just playing with you, I am sorry.She does make good pancakes. Now go and finish eating." Ava went back to her seat to finish, but re-asked her question about coming back here.

"I don't know Ava, this is Rose's home. She's mommy's student." When Alaska said that, my heart-broke. After last night I figured we were more than just student and teacher. I looked down not meeting Alaska's gaze. After they ate,Alaska dressed Ava in her shorts from yesterday, but I let her keep my shirt because Ava started to cry when Alaska tried to take it off her. I gave Alaska some other clothes of mine.

Alaska tried to leave right after that because things became awkward between us. Ava hugged me tight not wanting to leave. "Little One you have to go home. I promise we'll hang out again. We can play and eat junk food." Alaska glared at me when I said that. Ava jumped up and down happy that we will see each other again. I was then able to get her into my car to drive them back to the university.

We got to their car and I helped get Ava situated in it. I shut the door and looked at Alaska. "What happened last night can never happen again," Alaska told me with conviction. My heart shattered, but I should have known this is how she would have reacted. I looked down at the ground, "okay, but if you ever need anyone to watch Ava I volunteer." Alaska just nodded and sat in the driver's seat. She started the car and drove off. I got back into my car and cried while driving home.

I hope you comment and vote. :)

Don't be afraid to give me feedback. All comments welcome. Message me if you ever need or want to talk.