Chapter 22

Ashton's POV

Walking out of her room was the last thing I wanted to do but I didn't want to fight. I hated fighting, I always have. It's why I held grudges so easily because I never talked it out, even if it meant fighting.

I understood that her and Luke were friends but I just hated how it was him of all people. Why couldn't she see that he was head over heels for her? The engraved necklace wasn't enough of a damn sign? I wanted her to be happy and have a great time while she was here in Australia but I wish she would just understand why I didn't want her to fall under his spell. That was the last thing I needed. Another girl I loved falling into his arms. 

Juliette was different though. I loved her more than any other girl I dated. The way she smiled at the sight of anything that reminded her of The Fault in Our Stars, the way she fumbled around with her fingers when she was nervous, how she blushed when she looked at me for God knows why. There wasn't anything special about me. Nothing that I saw at least. I knew girls fawned over me but a girl like Juliette was rare.

I got to my car and just sat in the driver's seat to think. I stayed like that for a while, thinking. How could I have told her why I was so precautionary when she was with Luke without sounding like I was weak?

I heard my phone vibrate and glanced down to see her calling me. 

Pick up you asshole my mind said. My thumb hovered over the green button but hit the red instead. I instantly regretted it and she was probably pissed that I ignored it. 

I tossed the thought away and turned the ignition on and drove away. I didn't know where I was driving to, but I needed to be far away from here.

Juliette's POV

Three rings went through and I got sent to his voice mail.

He ignored my call. In the few months we knew each other and had been calling and texting, he never ignored one of my calls. I couldn't help but feel hurt. Did I have a reason to be? Maybe he was busy? If he was driving I wouldn't want him to pick up anyways because that would have been dangerous but still. Was sitting next to Luke on the ride for the trip really that big of a deal? I had a feeling there was more to this whole feud then he was leading on to be. But what?

I tried calling again, this time being sent to his voicemail right away so I decided to text him.

To: Youre boyfriend:D x @3:48 PM
"Hey please call me when you get this or just come back to my house. i want to talk to u"

Was it bad that I was getting this obsessed? I mean, he only ignored a couple of calls but was this normal for me to feel this way? To feel so...attached? Caleb had ignored girls calls all the time when we hung out but I never knew what it felt like to be on the girl's end of the relationship. Was it supposed to feel to mind boggling? 

My mind ran through all of the possibilities on why he didn't answer. He was on the phone with someone else..maybe Luke. Oh my god. Maybe his phone died and that's why it went right to voice mail the second time or maybe he was too pissed to hear me out.

Whatever this feeling was, I hated it. I didn't want to be that crazy, obsessed girlfriend but I didn't know how else to react. I thought on a rom-com that Caleb and I had watched years ago, He's Just Not That Into You and thought about Jennifer Goodwin's character and how obsessive she was that she drove all of the guys she dated away because she was so clingy. She ended up going for the bartender that she grew to be close friends with. Damn it, this was the wrong movie to be thinking of. 

"Okay. Forget about boys and pack," I said to myself. "You're leaving on Monday which is in less than two days," and with that, I spent my weekend packing.