After That

We were told to go home and be careful. They said they would inform Chesser's Parents of his fate and take care of things. Ben and I went home. When I got home, mom hugged me tightly. I was glad she was fine. We told each other everything that happened today. She apologized when I finished. We decided to calm down after all of this and watch movies and eat popcorn, even though the shell of the popcorn gets stuck in my teeth sometimes. We played some board games and told each other jokes.

          It was getting very late and I ended up falling asleep during the movie we were watching. Mom picked me up and tucked me into bed. The next morning I was told that we didn't have school for the rest of the week. They had to track down the shadows that had survived and plan funerals for those who died. Next week was when the funeral for Chesser was going to happen. I lied on my bed, not knowing what to do. It was raining outside, so I stared at the ceiling. Soon I heard a small knock at my door. I opened it and saw Ben, he was a little wet from the rain and was holding an umbrella. He waved at me. I smiled a little bit. "Oh, hey B-" He hugged me tightly. "Sorry for breaking and entering, Mason." He said quietly. I was shocked, I closed my eyes and sighed. "It's fine. Why did you come?" "I'm just visiting..." He let go of me and looked down, holding his umbrella nervously. There was an awkward silence. I invited him to come sit on my bed with me.