Chapter 33

Stephanie is shaking, still in shock at what Agnes has done to her best friend. She wants to throw up but the gag in her mouth won’t allow her to, she would choke on her own vomit. Her hazel eyes tear up as she watches her friend bleed to death. Agnes has disappeared for the moment but soon returns with a piece of plastic wrap, the kind old people usually cover their couches with and puts it at Melody’s feet. She unchains Melody, who is barely still breathing at this point and begins to roll her up into the plastic.

            Agnes retrieves a barrel from the room with all the kinky sex toys and does her best to stuff Melody’s body into it. Stephanie can hear Melody whining, fighting for her life and there is nothing she can do to help. Agnes pushes the barrel up the stairs thinking it’s a good thing that Melody is light or she never would have been able to complete the task. She nearly loses her balance a couple of times but soon gets the barrel to the top of the stairs. She rolls it over the top step, manages to get it into her Dad’s pickup truck and heads into the mountains.

            Agnes begins to dig a grave between some trees as the sun begins to go down. The whole time Melody is struggling to get out, barely breathing but still alive. “Please don’t do this” she winces. “Why are you doing this? Let me go.” Agnes ignores her cries for help and continues to dig until she has made a hole big enough to fit the barrel into. She pushes the barrel into the ground and Melody screams, terrified, knowing she is being buried alive. Agnes covers Melody’s body with dirt and returns home.

            Agnes takes a shower and does her best to cleanup any evidence. She even washes and vacuums out the truck. No one will ever know it is her that has been killing these missing teenagers. No one will know that it’s her way of get revenge on those who have spent so many years tormenting her. At least that’s what she believes.

            Downstairs Ray is alone with a distraught Stephanie who is numb with all of the pain she has witnessed and endured over the last couple of months. Nothing Ray did to her at this point would even bother her. She would follow his every command in a somewhat robotic way without even putting up any type of a fight. There is no use fighting anymore. Her friends were dying. Her parents haven’t come to look for her and her reasons for living have all but diminished. So she has decided she will do as he says and then one day it will all be over. Maybe when she dies, maybe when she is rescued, but one day she is sure that it will have to come to an end. It could be hours from now, days from now or even years, but someday someone will know her story and how she suffered.

            Ray undoes the chains on Stephanie’s wrists and ankles and drags her by the hair back to the bed, the same bed in which he has taken advantage of her so many times, and not just her but her friend Melody too. She lies there as Ray applies a couple of clothespins to her nipples. She doesn’t try to escape and she doesn’t feel pain, there is only a feeling of emptiness inside of her.

This wouldn’t be the first time Stephanie has been violated by Ray and it certainly won’t be the last. She just lies there as Ray breathes heavily over the top of her. Her rips the clothespins from her nipples and she winces in pain, but each time he does this pain is less and less as if she is getting used to it. Ray slaps her hard across the face and says, “You know you like this. Don’t deny it.”  

Stephanie just looks at him expressionless as he has his way with her yet again. It hardly bothers her this time and in some sick way it almost feels good. It’s the closest thing to love she may experience in her lifetime. After all, she may never get out of this dingy basement.

            He thrusts into her harder and harder each time and she just lies there like a rag doll, no fight at all. She has seen too much devastation to care. Why should she get to live when her friends have died? She doesn’t even have the energy to pretend he is someone else this time, someone handsome, someone who is in love with her. She isn’t in pain at all this time and in some strange way what he is doing to her is almost comforting. She is the one who deserves to punished, not her friends. She is the reason they were in this situation in the first place. It is all her fault and she could never have imagined the consequences she and her friends would face for their actions.

            Her heart isn’t racing the way it usually is and she is completely numb as to what is going on around her, just going through the motions while a sinister man forces himself upon her naked body. She feels she earned this punishment, it’s her fault her friends are dead, if only they hadn’t listened to her they would never be in this situation. Sometimes being the leader has its faults. So she lets Ray have his way with her, she doesn’t even blame him anymore. He is just protecting his daughter. He probably would never do something like this if she hadn’t hazed his daughter.

            She just wishes that Ray had killed her instead of her friends. She is the one that deserves to die, they didn’t. All they have done is listen to her. For years and years they have followed her around, doing everything Stephanie said and all it did for them was result in their early deaths. She lies lifeless, Ray continuing to thrust into her, slapping her breasts every now and then causing them to bounce back and forth. She may have been the prettiest girl in the school at one time, but right now she doesn’t feel pretty at all. She feels like an ugly person who has done ugly things to others and is getting what was coming to her.

            Sweat covers her body as Ray continues to go at it, Stephanie is getting tired, her malnourished body lacking the energy to keep up with him. Even if there were a weapon near her, or some way of escaping she wouldn’t be able too. She is much too tired and depressed and depressed people lack the energy to do much of anything. She knows that she will probably die before anyone ever loves her and that’s what she deserves.

            As Ray is penetrating her motionless body, a vision again appears in the screen. The girl on the television again looks like her friend Raine, and she wishes it was her friend Raine, but it is just an oracle, an oracle that never makes any sense to her. “You must hurry Stephanie. Only thirty-three hours remain.”