- XII -

There was a blue jean clad leg, with a white Ked next to it, glinting in the sun

There was a blue jean clad leg, with a white Ked next to it, glinting in the sun. I could see just a little of the green shirt tail that Ray was wearing, but it barely looked green anymore, it was so red.

That lead ball in my stomach got to be the size of Jupiter, and my legs were stuck in place. I breathed out hard, opened my mouth, and no words came out. Just a little squeak that was enough to make the other guys turn their heads.

"What?" Vern asked looking at me strangely.

Instead of responding to him, I slowly lifted my arm up to point out where Ray was lying motionless, and as soon as they realized what I found, they scrambled over to me.

I could feel their hot breath on my neck, until I realized that they weren't breathing. I wasn't either. We were all so stunned.

We all stood in silence, staring at his white keds. I could hear the Royal River running lazily by, as if it didn't know or care that a dead kid was just a few feet away from it. After a few moments of anticipation, we all rushed down to him, Teddy leading the way.

Ray's face was bloody, but not as bad as any of us thought it would be. One eye was staring up into the sky, the other rolled back in his head. His body was mangled, but spread eagled and muddy from the elements. His feet looked incredibly out of place, and I mean that in the broken bone way- and the white Keds, one still on his foot, and one all the way across the brush in the dirt, only made me look at them more.

Chris snapped out of looking at Ray, and suggested that we build him a stretcher using some sticks. Gordie, however, went to a fallen tree that was next to Ray, and stared blankly. He mumbled something, but I didn't know what. I brushed it off, and continued looking around through the greenery and brush.

I looked behind me again a few moments later to see Gordie crying on Chris's shoulder. I wasn't sure why, so I of course had a confused and concerned look on my face as I watched. I started to walk towards them to help, but Chris noticed me, and gave me a look that said 'It'll be alright. Don't worry about it.'

Another exchange of words went between them, and a laugh ensued, which lifted me back to spirits.

After a couple minutes of finding random sticks to make a stretcher out of, the ball in my stomach was still there, but a little lighter.

"Well, what the fuck do you know about this?" A familiar voice from behind me sneered. Vern jumped, and the rest of us looked in surprise at our only rival, Ace Merrill.

I should've expected it. This story can't work out the way we want, after everything we've gone through. That would be too nice to us characters in this novel. Instead, let's throw in another issue to make us wanna kill ourselves instead!