Chapter 3

Ada spotted Amiko as soon as she walked into the roomy atrium that served as the school cafeteria. Amiko was seated in a shaded spot, her lunch in front of her. With her jet black hair, porcelain skin and big brown eyes, Amiko looked every inch like the Sakoku version of the girl next door. She acted like it too, she was serious, quiet and one of the top students of her year. Her only quirk was that she wore her heart on her sleeve. At first, Ada had thought she was being edgy, and did her best to please this new 'friend', but then she realised everyone was speaking literally. Amiko had removed her heart six months before Ada had arrived. If Pendragon had never mentioned it, she wouldn't have known. No one else had even thought of telling her, even the people she thought were her friends.

"Ada," Amiko said as she gracefully picked up a piece of fish from the plate in front of her. "You're late. You do know that it's rude to be late, right?"

"Sorry," Ada inclined her head slightly. "I was talking to Aki, and it took a little longer than I expected."

Amiko glanced at Ada, then back to her meal. "Well, I hope you don't mind, but I started eating first. You should go get your lunch."

"Yes, Amiko," Ada said and quickly got up from the table. When she got back, she made sure to focus on her meal, not Amiko's flattened heart. Amiko still hadn't realised that Ada knew what was going on, and she preferred to keep it that way.

"So, Ada," Amiko said calmly, her heart a fleshy pink. "How are you coping with school?"

This was their weekly meeting. Amiko had been assigned as her student-guide, and while it was supposed to last only a month, Amiko had carried it out for the past year. She was unfailingly polite, helpful and kind. She also despised Ada, if it was possible to despise a person without feeling any emotion.

Still, she was Ada's closest friend in Sakoku.

"Well," Ada pretended to think, "I'm not going to fail, I think?" She made sure to make her voice sound childish and innocent.

"That's a start," Amiko said, a maternal tone entering her voice. "Now, have you considered aiming higher? You cannot just settle for mediocrity."

Ada smiled at her lunch. "I'll leave that to you." She glanced up at Amiko's heart, which was glowing purple and green. Happiness and envy. So Amiko was trying to figure out if Ada was complimenting her. Eventually, the purple took over before fading away.

"I'm glad you think I'm exceptional," Amiko said, "but there's no secret to it. I just work hard. I'm sure you can be above average if you put your mind to it. Remember, you can ask me for help anytime. Although I suppose Aki will be helping you?"

"Not anymore. I'm afraid I'll have to bother you."

"Please don't hesitate to ask," Amiko replied promptly. Their weekly meeting was over. Amiko had fulfilled her duty, and they and both knew Ada would not be asking for help. After all, she stopped two months ago. "By the way," Amiko added, "I'm organising a little get together for you and the a few other students. It'll be in three days."

Ada made sure to pout. "I might be busy. Do I have to go?"

Amiko raised a perfectly arched brow. "As the only foreign student, it is your duty to help us understand other cultures. And I have pre-screened all the invitees, they are people whom you should know."

"Sadako was a perfectly good friend," Ada made sure to snap at Amiko.

"Sadako couldn't even gain entrance into the Academy. She had to become an entertainer." Amiko's heart flashed black. She had made it very clearly that anyone in the arts was too undisciplined to be considered a friend. They were nothing more than keepers of a useless tradition. "You have stopped talking to her, I presume?"