*******

Pendragon looked up at the ornate gates of the Royal Academy. He had only been in Sakoku for a month, but there were already voices from several factions in the royal court 'suggesting' that he start to earn his keep. Upon hearing that he was a wizard, one of the nobles had testily suggested he apply for work at the Royal Academy of Magic, or the Royal Academy as they called it, saying that 'even as a janitor, you would be more useful than your present status as a loafer'. Pendragon simply filed the man's name away for the future.

One day, they would all pay.

Taking a deep breath, Pendragon walked through the gates which were left wide open. It never would have passed in the Magi — magic was dangerous and the entrance to the knowledge of magic was always kept shut to all but the most worthy. Of course, this country's form of magic was a mild, harmless sort. Merely controlling their body and using tricks from nature — true, it wasn't anything he could do, but it wasn't real magic either.

He walked into the school grounds and grabbed the first student that passed by him.

"I'm from the royal court. I was told to find the teachers of the Academy?"

The student instantly bowed. "Good afternoon, honoured sir. All the master wizards are gathered in the great hall. But I don't think any of them will be able to entertain you until the new Head Wizard has been chosen."

"What happened to the last one?"

"He passed away this morning from old age. The Head Wizard Rou lived to be almost two hundred years, thanks to his skills in magic."

Pendragon couldn't help it, his curiosity was aroused. "And what did this head wizard do?"

"He kept everything in order. The emperor trusted his judgement implicitly."

Interesting. So this Academy wasn't just some dog and pony show. Pendragon smiled at the student.

"I have two more questions for you. First, how do they choose the head wizard?"

The student stiffened, and replied coldly, "The head wizard is always the most powerful one."

"I'm asking you how he was chosen." Impatiently, Pendragon sent a trail of thought into the student, bending him to his will.

Obediently, the student lent forward, and said in a whisper, "The exact procedure isn't known, but they say it is a series of tests to determine who has the most control over their body."

"Thank you," Pendragon smiled with satisfaction. "Now my second question is: where is this great hall?" The student stammered out instructions and staggered away. In an hour, he would forget that he even met Pendragon.

The nobleman was right, Pendragon decided as he made his way towards the great hall. It was time that he got a job. The job of head wizard sounded just about right.