Chapter 22

Finally, today was the day. It wasn't final day, not by any means, but today, he would take a big step towards the realisation of his plans. There was a knock on the door, and Pendragon raised his head excitedly.

No, I can't show too much excitement.

"Come in," he said as calmly as he could. Slowly, far too slowly, the door opened and Ada appeared. Pendragon had to force himself to remain in his seat.

"You have the formula?" Fool, you sound too excited.

Ada bowed her head gracefully. "Yes, I hope it's correct. I'm sorry I couldn't pass it to you earlier. I would have, but there was that emergency meeting." She held out a folded piece of paper.

"Yes, yes," Pendragon said, doing his best not the snatch the formula from her. With trembling fingers, he unfolded the paper. It was beautiful. The formula was simply beautiful. Of course, it would be like that. He couldn't believe that he didn't derive it. But it no longer mattered, now, he could halt the degeneration of his powers, and put the second phase of his plan into action.

"Head Wizard?" Ada's voice interrupted his thought. Pendragon looked up to see a questioning face.

"The formula looks correct," he said, pleased that his voice was still controlled. "I expect you to follow it, so that you don't lose control. Well done, Ada, well done. I will have more for you to do soon."

"Thank you," Ada said. For the first time, a note of exhaustion could be heard in her voice. Pendragon looked carefully at her. She was pale, and her legs seemed to be trembling. He opened the channel to her heart, and felt the weight of the formula. His words had been more than effective, and the worry had eaten away at her. This wouldn't do.

"You look exhausted," he said as kindly as he could manage. "Go back and rest."

"But I promised Nic that I would show her around tonight, and I have to look through all the new decisions from the council," Ada droned. "You did give me veto power, after all, and they want to be sure that I approve of everything."

"Go home, Miss Ada," Pendragon said. "I can't have my protege collapsing. The council will survive. I'll send Hiroto a note, asking him and his lackeys not to disturb you today."

Ada bowed her head. "Thank you, Head Wizard. Please excuse me." She stumbled out of the room, barely managing to finish the correct steps. He was pleased to note, however, that there was thankfulness in her heart. With the matter of Ada settled, Pendragon closed the channel to her heart, leaving just a silver of space for strong emotions open, to prevent any sudden shocks.

As soon as Ada was gone, Pendragon dashed off a quick note to Hiroto, and ordered all his appointments for the day cancelled. He did have that meeting with the other two heads at night, but that was still a few hours away. A few hours for him to practice and strengthen himself. He would need them to believe in him for the rest of the plan to go well.

Pendragon had just committed the formula to memory when there was a knock on the door.

"I thought I cancelled all my appointments," he snapped at the figures behind the screen.

"My apologies, Head Wizard," the shadow of one of the secretaries said as she bowed. "But Miss Amiko has an urgent request, and as you know, she is an excellent student." And you should help her, not the ill-bred foreigner. Or so her tone implied.

"Very well, send her in," Pendragon said. The shadow next to the secretary moved, and the door slowly began to open.

"What is it," Pendragon snapped at Amiko, even before she had gotten to her feet. She paused in mid-movement. "Finish your silly ritual and get up," he said, impatient to put the formula into practice.