***

The first days of exile were never easy. Up until then, the other lands had always been something that he read about in books. Now, with the unfamiliar wind and sun constantly battering him, he wondered why he had ever wished to go away. Distant oceans were good for dreaming, not so much for living.

Pendragon opened the chest he was allowed to bring with him. He had opted for the minimal amount of clothes in order to make room for as many books as possible. Of course, this presented difficulties in moving the chest, but making it grow legs didn't take much energy. Now though, it was sitting quietly in the middle of the boat, as Pendragon waited either for land or for a passing ship to pick him up.

But the ocean was wide, and there were no ships to be found. Nor could he see see dry land. As Pendragon scanned the horizon, he swore that one day he would ride the grandest ship ever built back to his homeland, where he would be feted as the visionary and leader he truly was. But until then, he had to find a new place to live. He looked at the setting sun and sighed. Another day gone. That made five.

Five days since his sentence was handed down. Three days since he last saw land. And all because of the little book that he now held in his hand.