[002]

Chapter Two \ Forks High School

🔷 🔷 🔷

Alex exited the gym's change room with a slight grimace. She was dressed in oversized shorts that were certainly not hers and a loose t-shirt that, thankfully, did belong to her. She made a beeline for Bella who was propped against the wall across the gym, glancing around awkwardly until her sister arrived. Upon seeing her, the brunette had to fight a laugh. She would've let it out if not for the scalding glare Alex shot her. "You look. . . good." 

"Shut it, Bells." As they made their way to where everyone else was gathered, Alex sincerely couldn't wait until this class in particular was over. Not that she minded sports but she preferred it when the clothes she wore didn't hang off her body or, most importantly, belonged and were worn only by her and not some random stranger—or ten. 

Within twenty minutes after a lengthy, unnecessary explanation, they were split by gender. Boys were sent to one half, girls to the other. The former gathered as many basketballs as they could while the latter got to work on setting up volleyball nets.

When a game of volleyball started and it was either of the sisters' turns, they were always on at the same time. Bella would've had a stroke if it were any different. She was not a sporty girl, unlike her sister who somehow managed to do it all. She much preferred the girl by her side there to deflect shots that came at her because Bella knew that if she hit the ball, some damage would ensue. The team captain, Jessica, was on the sidelines motivating players to the best of her ability. "Block it, Chloe! Yeah! Good attack!" And it seemed to have a positive effect on those she did.

Alex's attention wavered as her wrist grew warm and she didn't see the incoming volleyball, Bella impulsively rushing to hit it. Snapping her attention to the airborne ball, she watched as it sailed out of court and hit home on a poor blonde's head. The eldest of the girls winced as she made her way to the discarded ball and the disoriented boy. "Are you alright?" He hadn't noticed her approach and so he jumped at her voice. When the nameless boy turned to face her, Alex pursed her lips as his eyes widened. 

She hummed quietly to herself, absently thinking back to the ego comment Bella had made. It really was far too inflated—even Alex could admit that but she had no desire to fix it. "I-It's only a flesh wound." The boy said with a grin, his cheeks flushed. He was the depiction of nervous energy as he hastily handed her the ball just as Bella joined them. "Alexandra and Isabella, right?"

Alex fought a scowl. "Bella and Alex." She hid the ugly twist of her expression well enough as Mike noticed no difference but that was most likely due to the fact that the boy couldn't hold her gaze for more than a few seconds. "I'm Mike Newton." And just before she could apologize for her sister and have them on their merry way so she could change out of her hideous shorts, Jessica joined them—well, she joined Mike.