[013]

Chapter Thirteen | Survival of The Fittest

**Graphic scene of blood and gore in this chapter**

🔷 🔷 🔷

"We need to talk."

"Excuse me?" Alex stared unblinkingly at Edward. In the boy's room, with herself sitting outstretched on his bed, her back against the headboard, and Edward laying on the length of the couch near the balcony, they'd been making idle talk, music playing softly in the background before he had promptly ruined her tranquillity.

"I said we need to talk." She presumed if he had been human, he would've sighed and it would've been a subconscious response rather than a forced action that required conscious thought. "Yeah, I heard you the first time. Are you breaking up with me?" Her tone was teasing but Alex was genuinely wondering what Edward could possibly want to talk about with such a serious disposition if not their odd relationship.

"What—no. We seriously need to talk about what happened two weeks ago," Edward said, glancing over at her from where he was tossing a baseball from one hand to another at such a fast pace, it was almost a blur. Alex frowned, sitting up straighter. "And here I thought there was a collective agreement that we were gonna ignore the malicious little voice in my head that likes to whine when it's hungry and threaten any living thing when they breathe." 

The baseball slammed into the opposite hand as Edward sat up abruptly, staring at her with furrowed brows. "She talks to you?" He furrowed his brows, disbelieving. "Alex, when were you going to mention that?" She blinked, caught off-guard by his sudden urgency. "Uh, never? Because I was hoping if I ignored it, it'd go away like the rest of my problems?" She watched as he set the ball down on the ground, burying his face in his hands a moment later. "You can't—you can't keep things like that to yourself, Alex. I thought she was lying but now? Knowing she's in your head, talking to you? I—" He was up in a flash, suddenly pacing the length of the room.

Alex's eyes followed him in silence for a solid minute before he was starting to make her dizzy. "Okay, okay, sit down, you're making me dizzy. What're you talking about? You thought who was lying?" Edward paused like she'd asked but he didn't sit down and he didn't look at her either. "That night, A—she told me that you weren't real, that you were the result after parts of her were locked away. But. . . now that she was back, it meant you wouldn't be around for long."

Alex stared wide-eyed at Edward, processing just what he was saying and what that meant. For her not to be real, told not only by Edward but by the being inside, meant that there truly would be a point in time where she would cease to exist. Eventually, the creature inside her would be known as Alexandra Swan and she would possibly slaughter everyone she knew, just because she could. "I'm. . . I'm not real? I'm just a—a what. . . what am I?" She ended in a whisper, feeling an inkling of fear trickle into her mind as it dawned on her that her next breath could be her last.