[018]

Chapter Eighteen | Secrets Unfold

🔷️🔷️🔷️

The entire trip had been, single-handedly, the most reckless thing Alex had ever decided to do and increasingly so.

Because after crossing state lines twice to a remote place with no one knowing where she was and the only telling note strictly demanding for the reader not to look for her, Alex had thought it to have been a decline. A break that would continue until she got home and even give her some time to rest with no one else none the wiser.

How wrong she had been. How naive. How stupid.

Ember had told her to rest after being bitten and Alex. . . Alex had agreed to after she put some miles between her and the lab and though the snake had agreed, neither had acquiesced under the belief that 'some miles' would have pushed four hours.

Four hours more than her body could manage after the trek back to her car. It was a miracle she made it as far as she did but the results were not nearly as good.

Alex had gone from feeling the heat beneath her skin, coursing through her blood to being severely numbed, feeling nothing at all, to her body completely giving out on itself.

And there had been no warning. The last thing Alex recalled was going very fast down the long, empty country road before she lost consciousness. It all happened so fast that there wasn't even a second to be afraid of running off the road.

Not that she needed to be.

The car slowed, slowly veering off into the bushes and narrowly avoiding a tree stump as it drove along the road on the grass. Eventually, it came to a stop as the land began a slight incline and though would've stalled right here with was, a lithe and long pale body jerked the gearshift until the vehicle was in park. A bump of her head turned the key in the ignition and subsequently, the engine off.

That was the second day.

🔷️🔷️🔷️

Over the course of three days, there were moments when she regained consciousness, barely lucid as Ember tried to speak to her before she was out again.

It was Wednesday morning before she was fully awake and aware, the woman jolted from an unwilling slumber by the shrill ringing of her phone.

Her body worked on autopilot as she reached over to the centre console and picked up the vibrating device, eyes unfocused and brain sluggish as she answered.