Long Time, No See

When Season 1 failed to be the commencement of the four successful Seasons of The Next Step - fate has got two of its' original actors crossing paths all over again...

Trevor's POV
"Thank you," I said to the lady at the computer behind a table. I left the black biro sitting on the clipboard and slid it back to her. With a polite smile, I took my headshot from the tabletop and walked away from the reception. There was a spare two seats at the end of a row on the back wall of the waiting room. I went over and sat down, taking out my phone.

I was surrounded by a bunch of actors, no two with one specific thing in common. They all held scripts and head shots and some held highlighters too. I read through my own résumé.

14 years of dance training at Confidance Dance Company

Waterloo Soloist 2010 award

Hiphop and Breakdance returning champion from 2009-2013 at the Canadian National Dance Competition

Extra in HollywoodProductionCompany music video

'Nate' in Full Out movie, 2015

Owner of RawMotion Dance Convention

'James' on 1 Season of the Family Channel Original Series The Next Step.

I could bet it was not the most experienced résumé in the room, but the experiences I had from each accomplishment were enough for me to know how the industry worked. And if this audition didn't work out - it was another experience at least.

In all honesty - this role was a lot more intense than any other I had tried out for in the time of my acting career. I had been in a music video, played a gymnast in a movie and spent a summer playing a ladies' man breakdancer. Now I was auditioning to play an ordinary high school kid with a passion for surfing and a mysterious past. It didn't sound too intense. Not from that simple synopsis, which is exactly the reason I agreed to take a look at it when my agent sent the email my way.

However, the further I read, the further out of my comfort zone the script became. But if this is what it took to be an actor - and this is what great actors did - then I'd do it. That's what got me to now.

Admittedly, my only other acting projects had been of average success. I was in a music video when I was fifteen, which I cringed even thinking about. It wasn't planned to be my big break but it was another recognition to add to my résumé.

I had also played the character Nate in the movie Full Out. A little more successful than my music video appearance. It wasn't a feature film or even an independent - but it was for sure a great role. The movie was shown on Family Channel, where I had already built up a fan base. Working with actors both beginners and more established was awesome - and I had an awesome time filming if not anything else.

However, probably my most successful role where acting was concerned was on The Next Step. It was a reality-style dance drama which followed ten teenagers in their journey to win a National Dance Competition - which, spoiler alert - never happened. The show never made it to that part of the plot. I played the character James. He was a cool, sly, no drama, ladies' man, carefree kinda guy. Pretty much an exaggerated version of myself. Through the season he pushed away drama, struggled with math and freed himself of his 'player' label by falling for the studio sweetheart, Riley. The relationship between the pair was a huge factor of the show's first season, and presumably would have been even bigger in the second - but the show was cancelled before we ever found out. Season 1 ratings were through the roof. In fact we even had the highest viewer rating in Family Channel history when Season 1 aired. However unforeseen circumstances with the writers and the production office meant that we couldn't go on to shoot our second season. But it didn't stop my role from making it to my résumé.