Chapter 11: Bloaters

The moment we departed the secure confines of the building, Adrian led us to an expansive garage teeming with military hardware. There were imposing tanks, sturdy trucks, and a formidable troop carrier designed to accommodate up to 14 people. Adrian's steely determination radiated as he addressed us.

"We're using this," he declared, his finger pointing decisively toward a heavily armored jeep, its formidable exterior exuding an air of invincibility.

"But it can only fit five people?" Lex voiced the concern that had likely crossed all our minds.

"Only five can go. Who wants to volunteer to stay here?" Rose offered herself bravely. "I want to live. Maybe I could help in some other way, except this. I mean, this mission is suicide."

Lex's gaze darted between us, wrestling with uncertainty. Eventually, he turned to Rose. "I'll stay with you. They might do something... I don't know. We don't know these people. Yes, they helped us, but we can't be quite sure if we're safe here."

Jaidyn chimed in, fear shadowing his face. "You can't, you're one of the bravest and the strongest," he insisted, gripping Lex's arm for emphasis.

"You've got plenty of ammo and guns," Carrie interjected, her eyes fixed on the bulging bag Adrian clutched.

Rose's words lingered in the air, a stark reminder that this mission could very well be a suicide run. But we had a debt to repay, gratitude to express to those who had saved our lives.

With resolution, I made our choice clear. "It's settled then. Me, Jaidyn, Carrie, Lindley, and Adrian are going."

Lex offered a nod, his gaze shifting to Adrian as he imparted a silent message. "You take care of my friends," he said, touching Adrian's shoulder.

Silence descended upon us, thick and suffocating, as we ventured into the unknown. The weight of our mission pressed upon our shoulders, the specter of uncertainty casting its shadow over our resolve.

The trunk of our chosen vehicle, our sole source of armament, was laden with weapons and supplies. All I had was my trusty bowie knife, a slender weapon in the face of impending doom.

Jaidyn's question pierced the silence like a shard of glass. "Why is it so quiet?"

Yet, no one dared answer him. The gravity of our circumstances left little room for idle conversation or lighthearted jests. Instead, our collective unease brewed in the stifling silence.

Ten minutes of driving through the desolate landscape passed in oppressive silence. There was no sign of danger or relief from the relentless tension. Occasional infected roamed the highway, eerie reminders of the world's bleak state.

And then, our destination loomed.

The road narrowed ominously, perilously hugging the edge of a cliff that yawned into an abyss below. Our massive vehicle, driven with reckless abandon by Adrian, continued unabated on this precarious path.

Boom.

A deafening pop resonated through the air, a jarring intrusion in the silence. It was the telltale sound of a flat tire, an ill omen in our perilous journey.

"What the hell was that?" Adrian's voice carried the weight of concern as his eyes darted toward the damaged tire.

"It sounds like we've had a flat tire," I observed, my voice betraying a sense of trepidation.

Carrie occupied the seat beside me on the left side of the car, while Jaidyn sat on the right. Lindley remained in the passenger seat alongside Adrian.

Despite the flat tire, Adrian refused to reduce our breakneck speed, escalating our fear. The narrow, treacherous road was ill-suited for a vehicle of this magnitude.