Chapter 6

Song: “Why don’t we just dance” Josh Turner.

After the whole blow up at my apartment and after we both apologized, Kenny and I had almost got into routine of hanging out endlessly like back in Windsor. When he was home from the road, I’d make dinner and he’d come over and watch a movie or some TV, sometimes we would just talk. It was like old times kind of.

It was the beginning of November, and Kenny had come over after practice one day. I could tell he was tired. He buzzed my apartment complex, which I just got in the habit of unlocking the door so he could walk in, and not wait for me to open the door. I was standing in the kitchen finishing up the salad while the chicken baking in the oven and the sauce and pasta on the stove, I heard the door open, and he slowly walked in.  

“Hey how was practice?” I asked.

He didn’t say anything, just walked to my living room slide out of his shoes and jacket, and laid down on my couch.

I shook my head as I made him a plate. I figured it was fine to eat on the couches once in a while. 

He was watching TV when I walked in carrying a plate.

“What would you like to drink?” I asked as I handed the plate.

“Waters fine” he said sitting up on the couch, grabbing the plate.

I went and got him his water, and my plate.

I sat in front of him at the coffee table.

We ate in pretty much silence, with the occasional compliment from Kenny about the food.

I could really tell he was tired when he finished his plate, as he walked into the kitchen to put it in the dishwasher.

“You know you didn’t have to come over, if you are so tired” I said following after him.

“Its fine Nico” he said brushing past me to return to his spot on the couch.

“Jackie called me” I said walking back to join him.

“Yeah Elly called me too” he said as he had his eyes closed. “He said he’s coming in with the team tomorrow afternoon”

“Yeah I’m supposed to pick Jackie up at the airport around noon”

The Preds played the Leafs on that Wednesday. So Jackie said she needed a break from the wedding planning and needed to see her bestie.

I looked at him again, as he was clearly fighting sleep.

“Kenny is everything ok?” I asked moving too where I was laying on the opposite side of the couch.

He nodded. “Yeah just coach is working our asses to keep the lead in the standings. And Charlie called me saying I have to bring a date to his wedding so I have two weeks to find a date to that.”

“Well the date thing shouldn’t be too hard for you” I said nudging his thigh with my foot.

He smiled tiredly. “Yeah right”

“Oh come on? I know you have tons of girls that would love to go as your date”

“Yeah, but my mom would be so happy me about bring girls like them home” he pointed out.

“Yeah that is a problem.”

“You just need a date, like a friend?” I said thinking of a plan.

He nodded.

“Well I could go, you know just helping out a friend” I said.

He opened one eye. “You’d do that?”