Chapter 6

Peeta

I walk into the house close to sunset and hear the soft sound of a piano in the parlor. Soon, a voice joins it, getting louder as I approach. I stand outside the room and hear Katniss singing inside. The first time she's sang since I brought her here.

"He said, sit back down where you belong
In the corner of my bar with your high heels on
Sit back down on the couch where we made love the first time
And you said to me

"Somethin', somethin' about this place
Somethin', 'bout lonely nights and my lipstick on your face
Somethin', somethin' about my cool Nebraska guy
Yeah something about, baby, you and I

"It's been two years since I let you go
I couldn't listen to a joke or rock 'n' roll
Muscle cars drove a truck right through my heart," She stops and looks over her shoulder. "You followed me around for six years. I may not have the same heightened senses you do, but my father taught me to be aware of my surroundings." I walk in the room and with my arms crossed.

"What can I say? I've answered your siren's call," I say.

"I thought you weren't supposed to be back until dark," she says.

"I've missed every supper for a week," I say. "I can cut a meeting short to spend some time with my girl." She looks at her hands and stands up.

"Honestly, I almost would have thought you changed your mind about me if it weren't for the way you hold me at night," she says. "You're gone when I wake up and I'm already in bed when you come back."

"And I'm sorry for that," I say.

"I'm not mad," she says, "It's just, you're supposed to be the love of my life, but I know more about your 15 year old sister better than I've been getting to know you, Peeta."

"Well, let's take tonight to do that," I say.  "I'll even take you out if you like."

"That isn't necessary," she says. "I've got a frozen pizza in the oven and rooted through your CDs. I have my night planned. But I wouldn't mind your company."

"Guess I'm a little late to try to make plans for tonight, huh?" I say.

"But like I offered, you aren't to late to join mine," she says. She walks back over to the piano and shuffles through the sheet music, looking for something quite obviously.

"You're singing again," I say.

"You're pretty good at stating the obvious," she says. "Yeah, I may have made money singing before you brought me here, but music is my passion. It was never really for the money." She glances at me. "Do you know how to play?"

"What?" I ask.

"You have all these amazing instruments in here," she says looking around. "Can you play any of them?"

"Piano and the guitar," I say. "And a little work on the drums I guess but that's hard to really make a song out of." She laughs and hands me a pile of papers out of her mess.

"Can you play this for me?" She asks. I I flip through the pages and shrug.

"There's no harm in trying," I say and she smiles as I move to the piano and she goes over and grabs a guitar off the wall. She tests it a little before turning to me.

"Well, then I'm ready when you are," she says. I nod and she leans on the piano as I start playing.

"I hear the ticking of the clock
I'm lying here the room's pitch dark
I wonder where you are tonight
No answer on the telephone
And the night goes by so very slow
Oh I hope that it won't end though
Alone,"  She wails on the guitar and turns to me, looking happier than I've seen her all her life.

"Till now I always got by on my own
I never really cared until I met you
And now it chills me to the bone
How do I get you alone

"You don't know how long I have wanted
To touch your lips and hold you tight, oh
You don't know how long I have waited
and I was going to tell you tonight
But the secret is still my own
and my love for you is still unknown
Alone

"Till now I always got by on my own
I never really cared until I met you
And now it chills me to the bone
How do I get you alone
Alone, alone" She laughs and lays down her guitar and looks at me.

"You have a lovely voice,"I say and she laughs again.

"I think you've told me that before," she says.

"I can say it again," I reply and she sighs, leaning across the piano so we're face to face.

"I've missed spending time with you like this," Katniss says. "I really do feel like we haven't spoken in a very long time."

"I'm sorry," I say. "I honestly don't know how I expect you to ever fall in love with me if I'm never here."

"Peeta, you have responsibilities to a lot of people," she says. "I understand that." She looks down. "There was a time not long ago that I knew that feeling."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"When I turned eighteen, I took custody from my mother over Prim, my little sister," she says. "I dropped out of college and took care of her for about six months. Then my mom got her back and moved them both across the country. I didn't have enough money left after raising a fourteen year old for half a year to follow them."

"I'm sorry that happened to you," I say.  "I'm sorry I didn't have the guts to be there for you." She stands up and shakes her head.

"I don't know that I would have wanted you to," she says. "There's just some things you don't want other people's input on. I had to deal with it on my own." She starts to walk towards the kitchen, but I stop her by grabbing her arm. "What?"

"I want to take you out tonight," I say. "I want to show you around your home. You've been here for more than a moon and haven't even seen outside the valley."

"Because you always said I wouldn't be safe outside the valley," she says. "I can't defend myself like you and the others. Or at least that's what you tell me."

"And I still believe that without being able to shift, you don't stand a chance against full grown rogue," I say. "I'll protect you out there tonight and I really feel like I should make it up to you for leaving you alone so much." She smiles and nods.

"I'll need to change and take the pizza out of the oven so I don't burn the house down," she says. "But if you'll allow me that time, I'll join you in five minutes." I nod and she disappears through the doors at the back of the room. I watch her go and reach into my pocket so I can look at the jewelry set that was once my mother's, that I plan to give her tonight, hoping I can finally claim Katniss as mine tonight.

"You ready?" She asks walking up behind me. I quickly close the box and turn to her.

"Let's go."