Chapter Twenty-Nine: Rape

(Brandon's version) 

She looked so happy, I thought watching April. The happiest I'd ever seen her. She was laughing at something Am was saying, her hand clasping Lily's hand. Dave's sister. Her head tilted back as she let out a another trickle of laughter. and beautiful, I added to my musings. Now and again, when she thought no one was looking, April would entertain Lily with another hug or facial expression.

"Someones got it baaad."

"Shut up," I mumbled when Dave's big head came into view. "Thanks, Dave."

"For what?" he asked. Shaking my head, I sighed and leaned against the wall, watching Dave's mom talking with Mrs.Summers. 

"For everything," I answered. "For this...the party. And your lame attempts at match making-"

"You suck at showing gratitude," Dave interrupted mockingly but I heard the grin in his voice. I glanced at him somberly and gave a pat on his shoulder.

"Thanks, man. Seriously," I told him. Dave gave another grin which was more feeling than the earlier one.

"I've always got your back....and always will. You know that," he clasped my shoulder as well and for the moment we stood there thankful for the friendship of the other.

"So have you confessed your undying love for her yet or are you waiting for her to forget you again..."

*SMACK*

That was all it took to break the Bromance moment.

"I'll tell her...tonight."

(April's version) 

"Having fun?" Mom asked, coming from somewhere behind me.

"Yes," I gushed and turned to giggle at Lily. She was just so adorable. "Thank you so much..MOM."

"Awww honey, this wasn't all my doing," Mom hinted, her head inclining towards the kitchen. I turned to see Brandon speaking to Dave about something.

"His amazing," I muttered.

"Yes, he is," Mom agreed. She seemed to ponder something for a minute and glanced behind her at Dave's mother with an unreadable expression. She leaned forward and whispered, "Dave's mom is a very courageous woman. Did you know her husband abused her?"

"No," I answered instantly feeling remorseful for the family. I glanced down at Lily sadly, while the girl fiddled with my bracelet. Dave and Lily had to go through that? Mom nodded as if reading my mind.

"Neither did I. I loved talking to her...I think honey you should to," Mom nudged me. "You might learn something. I know I did."

"Yes? And what was that?" I asked.

"Everyone have their lonely moments. Everyone have their troubled times...." Mom shook her head. "We're never the only ones. And what I learnt from her was that as long as there were people there that mattered to you....those moments would soon pass on by and become just a memory. A memory. This will all just be a memory, April." I smiled at mom, whose eyes were welling up with tears. "Hm..I need to find a bathroom," her voice was still choked but she was smiling brightly.

"Thank you, mom," I muttered at least the 100th time that night. 

"Dave!" Lily giggled loudly and I turned to see the girl bounce happily, pointing at her brother who was still in conversation with Brandon. Laughing along with her, we strolled towards the two through the throng of people, stopping a few times to accept birthday wishes.